Picked up a New Tarp

Discussion in 'Camping' started by smashdn, Apr 15, 2016.

1. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Picked up an Eno Profly in the Marpat looking digital camo from Nat's last night. Had a coupon so it was a good excuse to by a little smaller and lighter tarp than the Hennesy Hex that I normally use. The Hennessy packs to about 1 1/2 liters, the Profly about 3/4 liter. Probably saved about 1/4 lb of pack weight as well but that wasn't really the goal.

Plan to game it tonight at LBL. Will try and take some picks of it set up. I already like that it comes with reflective guy lines and line locs for adjustment. The Hennessy I had to add reflective cord guy lines. I can tell from ridge to bottom of tarp the Profly is shorter and perhaps shorter from end to end as well but only slightly.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  2. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    I like my Hennesy tarp. I never backpack it anymore so the size and weight dosn't matter much. Its great for a general use tarp when I camp.

Smash, I was thinking about you thursday. I was at Houchins Ferry doing some maintenance work.

3. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Profly Report

Really like the line locs on the tarp attachment lines. Makes adjusting the tarp above your hammock super easy. The line locs on the guy lines aren't much help. Will probably need to add loops to the very end of the lines in order to make them useful for me.

Coverage was good. More than adequate for a three season tarp barring a blowing rain. My Blackbird is long so I had about 8-10" coverage on both ends. Not as tall from ridge to the bottom of the tarp as the Hennesy Hex but that was good as it helped with air flow and made getting out from under it easier.

The marpat looking camo has such a small pattern that it looks very repetitive across the whole tarp. On something that large it helps to have a large scale pattern to better break it up.