Pink 357 mag rifle

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Rob Rock, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Rob Rock

Rob Rock Fawn

Jan 28, 2018
    Cheswinster, Ky.
    A Turkish Mauser in 7mm caliber had seen better days. A cutoff barrel and ugly plastic stock made the $150 price tag seem a little high. Negotiations ensued and the project began. The old barrel was removed and discarded.
    pink rifle.jpg

A new 18" .358 bore medium barrel was fitted to the old Turk action. Chamber was then cut just a little deep for the 357 magnum cartridge. Action was drilled & tapped for Weaver bases and a single shot follower replaced the Mauser metal follower and spring. The stock has a full 2" cut off the butt, filled the opening with Auto body filler, no kick pad was needed. Body filler was also utilized to bed the barrel and action. Assembled, the whole rig was painted pink then camo accent applied.

Regular practice during summer with 38 Special cartridges built confidence and accuracy. A few 357 magnum cartridges were used to check the zero on the scope/rifle just before youth season.

When the buck came to the small pond seen in photo mid morning she was ready....... one shot to the heart was all that was needed . After all, one shot was all she had with her pink rifle . From the look on her face, the price paid for the Mauser action & other parts were well worth the investment.

2. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Did you do this yourself?

3. Rob Rock

Rob Rock Fawn

Jan 28, 2018
    Cheswinster, Ky.
    EC,

Yes, I did the work myself. I do not have any significant gunsmithing skills to speak of or a nice machine shop. Broken down into small tasks, the work was fairly straightforward using simple tools such as a drill press. To turn the barrel and ream the chamber , I did use a Harbor Freight 8x14 mini lathe, bought new many years ago for less than $400 in Lexington. I think the current model 8 x 12 lathe is very similar and only slightly smaller. I already had a .381" straight reamer to clean up the chamber.

Thanks for the 'like'.

elkaholic likes this.
  4. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    It looks like you've done a really nice and professional job. I'm impressed.

5. wv67

wv67 6 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    I’m impressed as well , good job and congrats to the little huntress

6. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
  7. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    Nothing better than taking your kids hunting.

8. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Be sure to convey our adulation and kudos to your little hunter on a job well done. They grow up really fast! Trust me on this one--ha!

EdLongshanks likes this.
  9. Rob Rock

Rob Rock Fawn

Jan 28, 2018
    Cheswinster, Ky.
    THANKS to all for the 'likes', compliments and kind comments. This is actually the second homemade .357 mag rifle I've assembled. If I can find the time this weekend, I will post a picture of the boy's youth rifle.

10. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    No “significant gunsmithing abilities to speak of?” Saaaaaaay whaaaaaat? That little bugger is phenomenal. Nice work. Congrats to the you lady on her buck as well. Stories like your make deer hunting enjoyable.