Pittman-Robertson Act - Good Explanation

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by KY Swamp Beagler, Aug 24, 2018.

1. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    Here’s a good explanation of the Pittman-Robertson Act and how it figures into wildlife restoration and conservation. Hunting is conservation.

2. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Interesting. Wonder how much KY gets from that.

3. labwild

labwild 6 pointer

Jan 29, 2006
    Mercer Co., Ky.
    The number of Hunting and Fishing licenses sold is part of the distribution formula.

4. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
  5. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    That’s a lot of money for Ky. That don’t count what the Dept gets from Ky license sales and Ky tax from gun sales, fishing rods, tackle etc does it?

6. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    The KY sales tax on those items go into the state general fund. KDFW only sees the portion collected through the PIttman-Robertson Act. The kicker if you will is if one cent of the Pittman-Robertson money is spent not on Conservation the KDFWR will recieve no future money. A few years back the State Govenment cant remember if it was the Governor or the Legislature started talking about putting KDFW moneys into the general fund to offset a shortfall. Thankfully that got nipped in the bud when they were shown all the Pittman-Robertson money that would be forfeit.

7. TPHunt2Eat

TPHunt2Eat Fawn

Jun 22, 2017
    Morehead, KY
    Pittman-Robinson is arguably one of the most influential things that have made hunting what it is today. Steven Rinella (Meat Eater) does a lot of great, intellegent conversations and talks about Pittman-Robinson.

8. wprebeck

wprebeck 10 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Kentucky needs to take a closer look at how KDFWR is funded. They are short handed in every way, from biologists to conservation officers.

The starting salary for a biologist here is $29,900. That doesn't begin to compete with other states, so talent will go elsewhere. I have been watching the market closely, as I am starting grad school and will be looking for jobs in resource management very soon. Wisconsin is a high paying state, and virtually any GS-7 job with the feds starts at nearly $15k more than KDFWR.

On the LE side, DNR officers with Iowa start at around $20k annually higher than KDFWR. Many other states pay close to the same.

I'm 17 months away from retiring from an LE gig, and have already begun to submit applications for wildlife jobs. Unfortunately, Kentucky isn't on my list of potential states, unless I get a fed job here. I'm far from the only one who thinks that way, and just had some enlightening conversations with a guy in the know at KDFWR.

The talent pool isn't considering Kentucky, and that's very bad. Very, very bad. Sportsmen should start thinking about the long term ramifications of paying staff so poorly.

9. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Understand where you're coming from. Hope you get an excellent job when you graduate.

I'm guessing, however, that a significant increase across the board that you're talking about would require pulling from the State general fund. I'd rather be shorthanded than take one red cent from the general fund, lest the funding start going the other way.

10. wprebeck

wprebeck 10 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    I'm not advocating for that, necessarily, but something has to be done to fix the problem. When job seekers can make significantly more money elsewhere, who is going to work here?

I am actually disappointed that I can't make enough money to stay in Kentucky. Between their low pay and ridiculous legislation regarding the pension system, I can do much better elsewhere - especially if I am willing to move. If an employer can't compete with others for talent, due to pay and benefits, what happens to that employer? Will they be able to get qualified people, much less the best qualified?

We have been seeing this in law enforcement for a while, albeit for different reasons. The quality of new recruits leaves something to be desired, and no one wants to work in the field. KDFWR seems to be heading down the same path.

I know how much I have in student loans, and to be competitive in the field of natural resource management, one really needs a graduate degree. That means more student loans. Plus, many wildlife agencies require professional certification in The Wildlife Society, which means more requirements to meet and more money to spend.

Who wants to work for all that, incur nearly six figures of debt, for a job that barely grosses $30k? Montana is hiring at $20k more, right now. In Iowa, a wildlife tech makes more than a biologist in Kentucky. Tennessee isn't bad, and neither is Missouri.

We have to change something, or there won't be anyone who wants to work here. No resource managers, no law enforcement- what happens to wildlife then?

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  11. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I'd consider the cost of living before getting enamored with a salary.

12. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    This.