Planter Project

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by Buford, Dec 27, 2017.

1. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    This reminds me of the time I refurbished an old JD two row corn planter. I got a good 20 more years of production out of her! If only I would have kept up the maintenance enthusiasm I had at year 4 after the refurbishment, she wouldn't have been sitting in the woods for the past 5 years.

2. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Planter, hahaha, Reminds of an old pick-up line. wigflip-saywhat.jpg

3. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    Well here she is. I'm waiting on new chains, then it is ready go.
    Sunflower plates and filler rings are in. Had to scavenge two false rings, two adapters, and bin catches from the 72 units.
    Nothing left to do now but grease her up and wait for May.
    I have been thinking about making some row markers out of the two leftover coulters, but I think I should be able to run it one tire mark outside and get by.
    almost.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    hunt-4-life21 and bondhu like this.
  4. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    Excellent work! I have a cut down 2 row AC planter I use at my house and farm sunflower fields. Mine is also a 3 pt hitch lift but doesn't have the wheels. You must have a decent sized tractor, that seems like a fair amount of weight to lift? I change sprockets to control the drop, as you know, less is more with sunflowers.

5. slicked-it

slicked-it 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2008
    That's awesome!! Can't wait to see pics of it in action!!

6. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    How many drops are you getting per revolution?
    I think I have enough tractor, 85hp. It's really only 2 units and 2 coulters heavier than a 2 row. I have some weight if needed.

7. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    Do you have a cover crop planted. I did it last year had crimson clover and cereal rye. Sprayed it and rolled down with cultipacker then drilled my seed in with a no till drill. Yeah I had some crappy spacing but didn't have to spray but the one time to kill the cover crop and killed a few hundred doves over a half acre patch.

8. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    Yep plenty of tractor. You’d get me to lying on the drops per revolution. I try to get one drop per foot, or something close. I mark the wheel then measure it that way. Then flip sprockets and go to 24 cell plate for corn planting.

BP I did the same to my dove fields after season. Grain and crimson on them all to get some cheap nitrogen.

9. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    Yes, this field was drilled in wheat in October. The sod is so thick by late march I would normally have to make the first run at it in march to get it rotted down by late April.I like to do my planting on Oaks day. Early for some, perfect for me.
    This year I plan to spray late April and plant first week of May.
    On a side note, a lot of deer were taken off my place this year. Still, I counted 34 in the wheat field Friday nite. They're still winning.