Portable Ground Blind Opinions

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by JDMiller, Oct 10, 2018.

1. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Figured I’d post here in this forum as it covers a broad range of hunting.

Which I’ve been thinking hard about purchasing a good quality portable ground blind. Probably won’t bite the bullet on the purchase till after Christmas... unless I find a really good deal.

My specific wants... hub style, good quality material & camo that’s wont fade out too quickly, fairly waterproof, room for 2, enough ceiling height to shoot a bow with adequate window height as well... but not necessarily needing surround view types.

It’s not anything I’m going to leave out for months, maybe only a few days or maybe a week. Weight not too big a deal, probably throw on atv to transport most times. Probably be used for turkey hunting but may see use with deer on occasion. Price range ... up to $500.

Most things I’ve read point toward a Double Bull but heard good things on the Rhino blinds as well.

Just wondering if anyone has opinions on those or others that i may be overlooking. Open to any suggestions... including the good or bad.

2. 300winmag

300winmag 12 pointer

Sep 1, 2009
    Taylorsville
    I've hunted out of an older Ameristep pop up style with the fiberglass poles and the "steel spring" frame that has to be twisted like a band saw blade to collapse and take down for years and it's been great. I used it mainly for youth seasons with the kids when they were little and had it out for a few days or a couple weeks like you describe at it has been fantastic. It has a zip out floor and scent lock interior covering but it just wasn't tall enough. Due to the nature of the fiberglass pole design it also isn't very strong, however it's very roomy at the base with plenty of room for me and 2 kids with all our gear including a tripod setup for filming and a Caldwell field pod set up for the kids to shoot off of. Over the years they've shot holes in it where the windows were too tall for them etc. so my wife bought me a Double Bull a couple of years ago for Christmas.

The Double Bull is rock solid and easy to put up, It is plenty tall, I'm 6' and can stand in it. It is pretty cramped however with just 2 people in it and the door is a pain in the butt to get in and out of (very poor design in my opinion) not sure what model mine is and not sure if they are all the same or if the newer models have been changed. They can be a little trouble to take down as well because there's a trick to it and I only use it a couple of times a year I can never remember the trick! Window's and shooting availability is nice, I wish it had a floor though.

I would really have to look long and hard before I bought a Double Bull unless some designs have changed since my model. For the money there has to be other brands that have a better door design and more room that are just as solid?

JDMiller likes this.
  3. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I have hunted turkeys a bunch out of both the Ameristep Caretaker hub style blind and the Barronett grounder 250 hub style blind. I have no complaints for either for the above mentioned uses. I actually set mine and leave them all of turkey season usually and they hold up well. Every couple years I spray seems with a little camp dry to keep them as waterproof as possible. I've also hunted out of several of the spring style type and they have their purpose but are pretty flimsy. Hard to hunt out of in the wind and window design is usually pretty poor for bow hunting. They work ok for killing a turkey out in front of you though.

4. LA4024

LA4024 Fawn

Apr 27, 2007
    https://www.barronettblinds.com/

My pick is the blinds made by Barronett, I now have 3 of them and they are roomy enough for 2 guys, set up easy, and seem to be very durable.

5. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Not ruling out any suggestions.... which I'm pretty sure I do want a hub style .....which I'll take a closer look at the Baronette & Ameristep.

In turn...I've actually got an old Ameristep Outhouse Blind I've had for years....its the spring style and always a PIA to get broke down....not to mention not a lot of room. Which it was cheap and its served the purpose... just wanting bigger & better. Mainly to use to get out of the rain...wind or cold.

But here's the two I first started looking at.... Double Bull & Rhino.... which I also like the idea of getting parts if something were to break.

https://www.primos.com/products/double-bull-blinds/double-bull-deluxe/

https://rhinoblinds.com/products/mossy-oak-break-up-country-hunting-blind-moc-102

6. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    The grounder 250's I have are almost identical in size minus maybe an inch or two and are less than half of both in cost, maybe a third of the double bull. Just saying. Sometimes you are buying a name more than anything. Just compare specs and make a decision that suits you.

7. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    i have had a few different blinds, some cheap, some expensive. one i like is "Lucky blinds". my Alberta deer outfitter introduced me to them. another option for you to look at.

http://www.luckyshuntingblinds.com/