Preference Points Quota Hunts

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by II RiNgEyE II, Oct 11, 2018 at 2:09 PM.

1. II RiNgEyE II

II RiNgEyE II 6 pointer

Nov 4, 2009
    Brindle Ridge, KY
    Had 5 preference points and didn't get Big River WMA but did get KY River. I don't understand how 5 points doesn't get you drawn for your first hunt. Anyone have any stories like this?
    What does it usually take for the top quota hunts?

elkaholic likes this.
  2. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    If you have others in your group that have less points or none this
    will lower your high five as they calculate group point average. I hunted quota hunts for a few years.
    If you skip a year trying for a hunt ,you lose all your accumulated
    points and have to start over. Sometimes its just luck of the draw.
    Each hunt has a limited number drawn of hunters allowed on each wma.
    Ky River WMA is not a bad choice by any means,should see some deer.
    Its been a few years since I hunted in one so they may do it different now.
    I dont see how you made it to 5 points without being drawn.Thats high points.

Shaine1985 likes this.
  3. johnnymowmow

johnnymowmow Fawn

Oct 6, 2011
    Franklin County
    Ringeye, you need to look at your group average. Also, need to see if you non-residents in your group.

Shaine1985 and II RiNgEyE II like this.
  4. II RiNgEyE II

II RiNgEyE II 6 pointer

Nov 4, 2009
    Brindle Ridge, KY
    All residents

5. KYhunter

KYhunter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    Points are not averaged. Highest point wins.

6. jpd2

jpd2 Fawn

Sep 5, 2011
    Ashland, Kentucky 41102
    Just cked and I got picked for Greenbo Quota Hunt Jan. 8-9

7. HuntsItAll

HuntsItAll 6 pointer

Jan 23, 2009
    A hunters paradise
    I've always been curious about high points for top quota hunts as well.. Example Ballard co?? Anyone have experience with how many points it usually take for there?? Our group doesn't usually go for those type of hunts. We like the higher chances of getting drawn. We go to quota hunts to just get away for the weekend!! Its more of just a good time. We do hunt, and are hoping to kill deer. But to kill deer is what we're after. If a trophy walks by, so be it. But a couple guys in our group are "brown is down" meat hunters. And the first doe I see is in trouble also!! As long as someone gets a deer, we're happy. We were drawn for Taylorsville hunt#2 this year!!

8. 300winmag

300winmag 12 pointer

Sep 1, 2009
    Taylorsville
    We put in for Ballard every year as our first and only choice. My group is Me, my Dad, and my brother in laws. Much like you we only choose Ballard to get away plus there are good deer there. We had 4 points this year and didn't get drawn so next year we will. We've hunted Ballard 2 times in 14 years and only 1 of those times we had 4 points, the other one we had 5. That's all 5 people in our group with 5 points, but we intentionally pick only Ballard and that is our only hunt choice we pick. So we know we can book our rooms at the Lacenter Motel and ice down some cold ones next year and get my Pops out one more time, I just hope we get to help him drag a big one out of one of those sloughs this time!

HuntsItAll likes this.
  9. johnnymowmow

johnnymowmow Fawn

Oct 6, 2011
    Franklin County
    That is not correct for Deer. This year they switched to average for the group and limited to 10% non-resident.

https://fw.ky.gov/Hunt/Pages/Quota-Hunts.aspx
    • If applying for a deer quota hunt as a group, each applicant’s preference points will be used to calculate an average point total for the group. A group with a higher preference point average will be randomly selected before a group with a lower preference point average.
    • A maximum of 10 percent nonresidents can be drawn in each deer quota hunt pool.

10. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    Drew Kleber and Rich WMA 2---December hunt...

Last year, I applied my wife and myself with zero points...there were 202 applicants total for the December hunt...200 were accepted...I guess we know where my wife and I fell...with that amount of luck we stayed away from Vegas too...

II RiNgEyE II likes this.
  11. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I have put in for the elk draw since the beginning and not been drawn. Oh thats right, they don't have points for the elk draw. Maybe you have to be a non resident or know someone to get a good draw for a quota hunt like you do an elk tag.

Arrow Slinger likes this.
  12. KYhunter

KYhunter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    MY bad. Did not realize they had changed a system that worked (for me) for25 years. On the bright side, I save the entry fee for me and my bunch. Suspect others will do the same. Seems like hunting has steadily decline on a lot of WMA's anyway, so guess I'm not missing much.

johnnymowmow likes this.
  13. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    A bottle of 23 year old Pappy Van Winkle and a fresh box of Cubans ..... should take care of deer quotas for awhile.