Pretty good day for first day out

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by turkey, Sep 21, 2012.

1. turkey

turkey 10 pointer

Sep 16, 2008
    Gave a friend a lead on point for teal on WMA they killed 14...I took my dad to one of my favorite creeks we killed four pretty drakes. Will post pics after weekend hunts are over. Wood ducks were full of acorns, smart weed, and nutsedge.

2. Can't wait for dem pics. Please make sure the pics will show what species. I was wondering if they are Quercus palustris, Quercus falcata, Quercus alba, or Quercus lyrata.

WE

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  3. kyblackmallard

kyblackmallard 10 pointer

Sep 18, 2006
    Your friend needs to learn what legal shooting time is.

4. AlphaMax32CPA

AlphaMax32CPA Fawn

Sep 14, 2009
    First shot was fired at 6:06 which was perfectly legal. You need to learn that ducks love points because the one across from you was getting lit up. And a blue wing teal call works a little better than a green wing call when you are shooting blue wings. Just trying to help you out. Didn't know if you all killed any or not.

5. kyblackmallard

Sep 18, 2006
    First shot was fired at 6:03 and legal was 6:06 this morning.I was not there yesterday, but the shot was fired at the same time.Wrong.Setting the old watch back don't work with cell phones which are very accurate.

6. BootsOn27

BootsOn27 6 pointer

Oct 13, 2011
    I was there both mornings and both days the shots came 3 minutes early. Have 3 witnesses to this. It was not the same guys both days but they were closely related. Yes teal like to fly around points, but they also like to LAND in little coves of cover off of those points, which is what we were in...had 60+ blue wings sitting in the decoys 10 mins till time, just waiting for legal time to light in to them. That plan was interrupted though by early gunfire. Oh well i enjoyed watching them just as much as killing them since they were close enough to me to swat with a stick. And a blue wing call does work, but a green wing does as well...i guess you've never seen the 2 sitting together...

7. bmason

bmason 6 pointer

Mar 31, 2006
    Get the popcorn!!

8. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven 10 pointer

Apr 19, 2006
    on the road
    They like to sit in the middle of the river and respond to a mallard call as well.

9. AlphaMax32CPA

AlphaMax32CPA Fawn

Sep 14, 2009
    I wasn't there both days so I can't vouch for the other guys but I also have three witnesses that we did not shoot until 6:06 as stated previously, don't really appreciate being called a liar. I never said green wing calls didn't work, I just witnessed two different occasions on when birds were headed to the back corner and both calls we're being blown and the ducks turned to the blue wing call. Apparently they LAND on points too bc we also had birds in our decoys before 6:00. I'm not trying to start an argument, because there were more than enough birds there for several groups of people. Wish everyone a happy and safe season.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  10. kyblackmallard

Sep 18, 2006
    Liar......6:03

11. HUNTZVT

HUNTZVT 12 pointer

Oh!!!! Snap!!!

12. AlphaMax32CPA

AlphaMax32CPA Fawn

Sep 14, 2009
    Obviously we agree to disagree, you have 3 witnesses and so do I. Since you're the one who wants to act like John the Baptist of duck hunting and all holier than thow, no matter what time the first shot occurred someone in your group shot not 5 secs after the guy in our group shot. Yes our group shot first but if you want to make a big deal about it and cry like a baby on an Internet forum then own up that someone in your group shot as well. If we were early (and we were not) so were you and I have witnesses to that. Maybe next time you should remember all the details before accusing others of the same crime because if a warden had been there and it was 6:03 as you say then your group would have been written up just the same.

13. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    Did you hear four shots or three? If it was three it wasn't me.

Haiku for poetic effect only

14. kyblackmallard

Sep 18, 2006
    I was not there yesterday. I told you that. I know you shot early today and we did not. You might want to think about that next time when you are less than a mile from the refuge headquarters.Just stating facts. If everyone starts at the same time everyone gets a fair shake.

15. AlphaMax32CPA

AlphaMax32CPA Fawn

Sep 14, 2009
    I was not there today. To my knowledge there have been several diff groups of hunters there over the last 3 days. The group I was with was there Friday and that's it. I know how close it is to refuge and I want public land hunting to be as fair as possible because it's not been good public waterfowl hunting around here for a while now and I want anyone who can to enjoy it. I know you're probably taking your friends words on the time but if you werent there yesterday then I don't know how you can argue the timing other than here say. Sorry bout the guys today but I don't know who they were, I understand your position of you had that many in your deeks and waiting on legal time. Happy hunting bud and best of luck.