Public Hunters tossed aside.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by turk2di, Dec 4, 2004.

1. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    Well, looks like us guy's who hunt public ground were pitched in the ditch friday by the game Commissioners of this fine state! Turkey season will be starting on Saturdays after next season from now on.Oh, they gave us an extra week just too make sure we have killed most of our Gobblers and i reckon to pacify those of us who wanted a Monday opener for safety's sake and quality hunt's sake! Too bad your input had little effect... oh..... You weren't asked? Well, i'll be darn! Imagine that! Looks like my day's as a turkey hunter R winding down.

2. joekat46

joekat46 8 pointer

Jun 19, 2003
    North Port, Fl.
    A shortsighted display of stupidity. Public land and Saturday openers are an accident waiting to happen. Even without the safety issue the quality of the hunt is almost a zero. Dumb and dumber. A decision made by people with little regard for the average guy that doesn't have private ground to hunt. I may start throwing all my out of state budget into Ohio where both turkey and deer open on a Monday.

3. SixPack07

SixPack07 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2004
    Eau Claire, WI, USA.
    Our seasons always start on a Wednesday up here in Wisconsin, and even though I hunt private land, I hope it stays like that, because who knows if that will always be the case. I definitely would not look forward to a turkey opener on public land if it is anything like a deer opener on public land.

4. DUOGLIDE

DUOGLIDE 6 pointer

i know that i'm in a minority position but what about the guys that must work monday through friday with little hope of vacation for both deer and turkey i think they would like to have the same opportunity on opening day as everyone else i'm just a average working guy and this is only my opinion

5. gwhilikerz

gwhilikerz Banned

Oct 16, 2004
    Yep DUOGLIDE we all have to share what little public land there is to hunt. Funny how some guys seem to think they should have it to themselves. Next they will be asking for quota turkey hunts on public areas to cut down on the competition. (oops, only if they are guaranteed a draw each year;) )

6. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    that's why a couple of years ago the Commission in all it's wisdom agreed to a rotating opening day. Comments at that time were that they would try it for at least 5 years without any changes to judge public opinion. Now two years later it's changed already, mainly because of one district and the elk tags.

7. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    Well, GW, im a firm believer in that if it ain't broke, don't fix it! If u have ever been to Peabody, u would know that even on a Monday, one wouldn't have it to themselves! But a Monday opener would cut down on those simply there because they R off. Put it on a Saturday, but don't come on here bitchin because of the pressure!

8. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    I for one am very glad to see the change im tired of all the people who can take off whenever they want and the ones who never work at all which are alot of people in ky getting the opening days to themselves and the rest of us having to only hunt the crowded weekends, after they have already cleaned up.You still have the week following the opener all to your little lonesome .

9. gwhilikerz

gwhilikerz Banned

Oct 16, 2004
    Yep Turk, Peabody is crowded and people are hunting just because they are off. That's what people do, they hunt when they are off. That makes Saturday opening a natural. Then there are those who use their vacation days to hunt and they want opening day to be during the work week, kinda like they have less competition and they get paid to hunt. Is this Country great or what!

10. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    Well see how popular it is after they quit gobbling in two days from all the pressure. Then thy guys that want to save their vacation to take their wife to the beach can wonder what happened.

11. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    makes you wonder if "the wife" might have had her hand in this decision:D

12. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    If it was easy Multi It would be called killin.Just because they quit talkin doesnt mean they dissappeared thats part of turkey hunting and if you get mad about that then you shouldnt be there in the first place.

13. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Just Wait!!!!!!!!

You think that trespassing during deer season was bad, just wait until Turkey season opens on a saturday. People hear a bird and they are going to it.
    I hunt private land and every time the season has opened on a saturday, we spend more time running off trespassers than hunting. We have up no hunting signs but people don't care.

this really ticks me off.

14. joekat46

joekat46 8 pointer

Jun 19, 2003
    North Port, Fl.
    The one thing this continued discussion did was remind me to dig out my ballot for the NWTF Board. Any one know how Joe Bland voted/feels about this issue? I wouldn't want to vote for someone I would put in the "dumb and dumber" category.

Now that I no longer live in the Commonwealth and can sit back and watch this from a distance I get a new feel for the how things are headed. With this all Saturdays all the time attitude, boat ramp fees, back room elk deals, let's shoot a million doe every year, etc, etc it is clear Kentucky is experiencing real growing pains. I'll be interested to see how it all shakes out. Good luck.

15. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    It will shake out in whatever direction the money comes! That's all it's about anyway.And while were R all aware that the dept needs the money, they will learn the hard way that when the quality of a hunt decreases, so will hunter participation. What kind of impression is a Saturday opener gonna have on a youngster who along with his dad, his run over by slobs who otherwise wouldn't have been there had it started on a Monday or weekday. Would you rather have your opener 100% full of hunters, as on a Saturday opener, or allow nearly a week of weekday hunting, thinning the crowd as hunters tag out? I guess what really get's me about the whole thing is NO input from statewide hunters. The commission just doing the MONEY thing, while they hunt uninterupted on thier private ground! Enjoy your Saturday! BTW- It was Joe Bland who was reported on this site a few weeks back as pushing for the Saturday opener because all the state's chapters were for it! If this is an error, perhaps he himself could come on here to rectify the record.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2004