Putting down a groundhog

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by timer, Aug 6, 2017.

1. jfiscus

jfiscus 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2013
    Kenton County
    Get your 22 barrel in-between the cage bars. Shoot right between the ears for a clean kill. My daughters can do it!

JR in KY likes this.
  2. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    ...if the animal cooperates and the cage is structured right.

3. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Drowning sucks and takes a hell of a lot longer than you might think. Suffocating is as bad or worse. Hooking a hose to your muffler is a shitty way to go. Just shoot the damn thing even if you ding your cage a bit.

bondhu and barney like this.
  4. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Play rap music.

5. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Long pole ,syringe and acetone,shoot acetone through rib cage into lungs.Never tried it but internet don't lie,look up killing a skunk with acetone

6. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Just curious as to how one could say with certainty that drowning sucks? I agree it takes longer than expected. I bet getting hit with a slightly off target .22 bullet would suck just as bad...if not worse. I wouldn't care about damaging the cage but i would want to be completely accurate and I'm thinking shooting through the metal cage might alter the point of impact

7. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
  8. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    Maybe cut a few small holes in the top of the cage and then stick the gun through them to kill it? Or, play rap music like mentioned. :)

9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Have your wife give it the stare.. you know the one.

JR in KY, timer and Feedman like this.
  10. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I've come close. Twice. Nothing peaceful about it. I assume it would have gotten worse before it got better.

katlynn likes this.
  11. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Borrow JR in KYs Tomkat.

Dark Cloud and barney like this.
  12. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    Thanks to everyone who responded.

Last night we caught a groundhog in one of our traps. He was a big 'un a groundhogs go....

Since I didn't want to damage another trap by shooting through two or three (four actually) of the wires that make up the wire cage, we decided to open up the cage and shoot him when he came out. It worked pretty well. I was standing behind the cage and he was facing me - away from the trap door. We opened the trap door and he stood and watched me for a good 10 seconds. Then he turned and made a break for it. I knocked him down with the first shot, and I'm pretty sure he was dead after the third. But I put three more in him just to be sure.

I still would like to find a way to put 'em down without opening the door. I've never heard of anyone being attacked by a groundhog, but then I'd never heard of anyone being attacked by a lab rat and one doggone near took the end of my finger off when I was in college.

So I'm still looking for a better way....Anyone ever use a taser on one of these critters?

13. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    Take them up the road to one of your "friends" places and let them go.

14. rustyanchor

rustyanchor Fawn

Dec 5, 2016
    Adair Co
    Put cage on its side so you don't shoot the trigger plate, be a little patient and the pig/coon/possum/etc. will calm down some. Put .22 up close or into the cage and pop the thing.
    A Conibear trap is your friend as long as you don't have other critters you don't want killed nosing the holes.

Mark