question about land for lease

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Rhyno Footer, Apr 10, 2018.

1. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Hey deerhunter24, you might think about curbing your spending habits and taking on a second or third job. Then you just might be able to save up and buy your own property. Good luck.

2. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I hope lease prices skyrocket. I might be tempted to lease the farm I’ve worked my butt off to own. Maybe some big money guys from out of state will offer me top dollar to hunt my place. I can only hope I guess.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    bondhu, Feedman and ddwhitetails like this.
  3. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    There are tons of people that lease property that are not (Rich). They find a way to make it happen. Lots will group together so that they can afford the lease. If there is a WILL there is a WAY. And if this State didn't have Good Whitetail Hunting, we wouldn't even be talking about this leasing issue because no one would want to hunt here!! No one is happy about having to lease property to hunt! But it is where things are now and its. not changing anytime soon. Hey I hate the fact that I have to go through security checks every time before boarding an airplane, but guess what, With time things change and it is now the new norm whether we like it or not! Again, be happy Kentucky has great Whitetail Hunting and be grateful for it!

4. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 8 pointer

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    Kentucky doesn't have great whitetail hunting all over and the fish and wildlife is the problem of it. I still hate leasing eventually trust me only the rich will be able to hunt

5. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I hope they allow unlimited doe harvest state wide.

barney and Feedman like this.
  6. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 8 pointer

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    I hope they stop it and bring back to only certain days for does

7. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Ed, You are spot on.
    We have to get this deer population under control. If not Kentucky will be like the states to our south. Tons of deers but not much size.
    Killing unlimited does an going to two bucks will keep the population in check. If we do this for a few years then people will stop coming to Kentucky from out of state to hunt. No more leasing of farms an this will go back to like they used to be, "the good ole days"
    Also we need a 3 bird limit on gobblers in the spring to help keep the turkey population in check.

8. I didn't say

I didn't say Fawn

May 28, 2017
    Over here.
    If we don’t have good deer hunting why do you want to lease in Ky. Need a place to hunt call a realtor

9. Rhyno Footer

Rhyno Footer Spike

Feb 26, 2013
    'Merica
    I agree with both sides here. I do believe the small guys are getting run out and can't afford to hang with the "doctors and lawyers" that want to spend $30 per acre to lease so they can pay someone to do the work and they show up just to kill. Hell, I've experienced that first hand! However, some of you saying land shouldn't be leased is quite ridiculous. You're basically saying if you don't own your own land you aren't allowed to hunt. Or you're only option is a WMA. If that was the case you'd have a stand in every tree. I love the idea of helping farmers in exchange for leasing rights, but for some that doesn't work. I live and work as a firefighter in Florida (obviously I'm not rich), and i also own a small business on the side. Its impossible for me to come up as often as i would feel necessary, to have a fair exchange with a farmer. But that doesn't mean that work won't be done. I can only speak for myself, but every lease or property I've hunted has always been left in better condition that when received, and id like to think that most people do that and have that mindset. Whether thats been supplemental feed, food plots, land mowing/clearing, or just general maintenance of a property.

I know that all the other state forums i look at have a section for farmers who do want to lease to be able to post it, and most have an option with leases already establish to post openings. I was just inquiring about that, not trying to make you butt hurt.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  10. Rhyno Footer

Rhyno Footer Spike

Feb 26, 2013
    'Merica
    What state has GREAT whitetail hunting "all over".. Every state has places that aren't as good as other sections.. Kentucky has amazing hunting, and with the right people in place, it can get even better!

11. Rodeo man

Rodeo man 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    Hadn't been here in a very long time. I see the hatred for land owners still persist.

The whole hunting should be free crowd cracks up.

Different scenario, same mentality:
    I'd love to have an inground swimming pool. They are just sooooo expensive. I could go to the YMCA and swim basically for free (that's your free public land btw). I have a neighbor with a pool. He doesn't like when I just show up at his house, and swim. Yes, there is a rich history of him letting people come and swim. He finally got got sick and tired of the dead beats and dregs, and now won't let others share in his good fortune. Swimming should be free to all, and I wish he would let me come swim. I know I urinated in his pool the last time I was there. Left a rut in his yard, so I wouldn't have to carry my cooler as far. Left beer cans on his patio. Still though, he should think about the underprivileged that don't have pools. I guess I'll wait til I see home gone, and just go swim there anyway.

12. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    How many counties in KY have you deer hunted? Have you hunted Western KY?

Edit to add an additional question:

There’s a place to add a donation to public land and education when you buy your KY license online, do you contribute a few dollars?

13. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 8 pointer

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    Yes I do donate. I always donate. I hunt quite a few counties

14. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    Hats off to you on donating. Have you hunted in far Western Kentucky?

15. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 8 pointer

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    Yes I have for ducks