Question

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by bumhunter, Sep 3, 2017.

1. bumhunter

bumhunter Fawn

Sep 28, 2016
    This may be a dumb question, but I'm a little confused. I moved to ky this spring. I bought 47 acres. The hunting guide states that if a resident hunts his own farmland he does not need to buy a license. My property is all woods with no farmland. Can I still hunt it without a license. I really don't know how much I'll get out this season, and would really rather not pay for a license this year. Next year I will be buying one so that I can hunt elsewhere also.

2. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    From KDFWR site:
    A resident is any person who has established permanent and legal residence in Kentucky, and resided in Kentucky for 30 days prior to applying for a license, full-time students enrolled in an educational institution for at least six months, or military service personnel on permanent assignment in Kentucky.

A person who does not meet the definition of a Kentucky resident is considered a nonresident and must purchase nonresident licenses and permits. Nonresident youth hunters are subject to the same requirements as resident youth hunters. A nonresident who owns land in Kentucky must purchase nonresident licenses and permits.

Resident owners of farmlands, their spouses and dependent children hunting or fishing on their lands. This also applies to tenants actually engaged in work and residing on farmlands, their spouses and dependent children. To be classed as a tenant, a person must both live and work on a farm.

3. bumhunter

bumhunter Fawn

Sep 28, 2016
    I'm not a tenant, I'm a resident land owner.

4. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 8 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA

Sounds like You are the resident land owner. You live in the state of KY and your name is on the dead. then you qualify to utilize land owner tags. You still have to abide by the season bag limit for your Zone and of coures still only get 1 buck.
    Enjoy and good luck.

5. elkaholic

elkaholic 10 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    Yes you can hunt without license. Your land does not have to be farmed.

jfiscus likes this.
  6. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    If anyone asks, you can always tell them you have a tree farm. Or morel farm. Or maybe even a ginseng farm.

But really the regs state "land" not "farm".

7. bumhunter

bumhunter Fawn

Sep 28, 2016
  8. jfiscus

jfiscus 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2013
    Kenton County
    I've always bought my license to help put my change in the pot to keep the sport going. When I only hunt my land I haven't bought tags, but almost every year I've decided to hunt public land, so I've bought tags. (and eaten tag soup) ;)

9. duckheadforge

duckheadforge Fawn

Dec 2, 2013
    Ive been in this state for 43 yrs
    Im not giving legal advice but I have checked many deer as landowner to save my tags for 20 yrs. even when i didn't farm anything, it has never been questioned. I may be wrong but 47 acres is still a farm especially if you live on it... maybe you are growing hardwoods lol.