question....

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by bgkyarcher, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    Yall was talking about owls and the dogs wouldn' quit barking. Came outside and this big hoot owl was sitting in a tree right above them just hooting away. Pic ain' to good but you can see its eyes 20180217_223909.jpg

Dark Cloud likes this.
  2. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I like to hunt yotes... rates right up there with my deer & turkey hunting.... maybe even more-so on a lot of levels.

Which I know this thread has took a lot of twist from what the OP posted. I also understand the displeasure especially from a livestock & pet perspective. I get it and can’t blame anyone for feeling that way.

However ...there’s a lot of difference in seeing a yote & pulling in on property where you know the landowner well enough and isn’t going to mind you popping a yote in a field. I take no issue with that at all ..as long as it’s done safe & responsible manner.

Same goes from the perspective of protecting your own property be it crops , livestock, poultry ... whatever. Sometimes you do what you have to do .. within reason and knowing the consequences.

But .. in a situation of just rolling down the road and jumping out to shoot a yote... just because it’s a yote & regardless of whose property it is. I take issue.

Which just sayin...but if I were to witness that on my property and you tell me you were “just shooting at a yote”.... I’d prosecute the individuals to the fullest extent I could.

Being ... I don’t care if your shooting yotes or field mice.... somebody better be asking me for permission first . Which because it’s “just a yote” ....doesn’t mean you have to loose your freakin mind over it.

I have no tolerance for road hunters nor trespassers ..period.

SmokeShow, elkaholic and forager like this.
  3. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Had a HEIFER calve this morning checked her an calf at lunch. Went to the barn for about 5 minutes an came back out. 12 black buzzards were in the tree above her an 4 were circling above them.
    I dont know how they can find a cow an calf so quick

4. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    OH YES they will find them quick. They will get em quick to. A few gun shots will get them away.

5. kyfarmer1

kyfarmer1 Fawn

Oct 4, 2015
    washington co. ky.
    I lose about one calf a yr. to coyotes and I've had black heads get two. I had a permit last yr. to kill 3 black heads legal. The FSA office we pay on black head loss. And i shoot every coyote that i can get my sights on if not I would have a lot of trouble. I try to calve my cows close to house and keep them there about two weeks. I'm just like DH13.

6. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    THIS! ^^^^^^^^

Back in the 80s I knew a guy who had his blue heeler shot on his property by a couple of jackwads. Their excuse was "We thought it was a coydog." They had no permission to be on the land. I'm not sure what came of it all, but two guys infected with trigger itch and and entitlement complexes brought pain on a nice little family.

7. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Just like this thread. It is from one side of the perspective. From the other its 180 degrees opposite.

8. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    We have the hunting leased, 20 hunters filling all the tags available, still don't cut it. If you have a 1000 acres of white and red oaks and on top of that 500 acres in beans and 500 in corn. Its hard to keep everything in check.:)

elkaholic likes this.
  9. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    We lost 4 calves one year to them. I hate the things.

10. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    Just like all the migrated illegals here.

11. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    You got to have a permit

12. I filled it out when I bought my rifle.

JR in KY likes this.
  13. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Dang. I never dreamed my question would morph like it has... Come on now.

14. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    LOL ,when the topic moves to non farming law abiding hunters vs. someones farming life (not job, but life).
    Farmers will close there acres to hunting and eradicate all predators as they see fit. whether with the old post and steel trap for birds of prey, hotdog's for coyotes, coke for coons or a roost ambush on black heads.
    I find it hard to believe anyone who has asked for hunting permission in Ky. from a farmer as not heard "yea you can hunt but only if you kill them all". just my .02:)

15. Hunter’79

Hunter’79 Fawn

Oct 29, 2017
    Oakland Ky
    Hey don’t sweat it . I shoot em where ever I see em . Mirror on truck makes a great rest .

kyfarmer1 and DH13 like this.