Questions about Shotgun Chokes

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by countryfied252, Apr 18, 2016.

1. countryfied252

countryfied252 Spike

Jun 26, 2011
    I was looking around at different turkey chokes. I was wondering if two chokes are the same internal diameter, would they preform the same?

2. Meatstick

Meatstick 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Nelson County
    In my experience, no. Different designs in the choke will yield different results. Some chokes are restriction only, others are wad stripping, so on and so on

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    I was going to say, absolutely not, but that would be too much. Based on my experience, with at least 15 different chokes and as many or more load - I would say almost certainly no.

It takes some time, but different loads and shot sizes will perform differently in the same choke. Likewise, same load through different chokes will result in a lot of variation.

Get some paper, a garbage can lid, and start shooting. You will know the right combo when you find it.

4. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    Good stuff, even different brands of same load, shot size, weight can pattern very different.
    I had a improved cyl in a lt 20 special field 21 inch barrel, and was shooting skeet with some cheap win 8's and one of the old boys at my club was irate because he was sure I was using full choke the way the birds were dusted. I even questioned the choke and measured it later, was just those shells pattern through it.

5. Rodeo man

Rodeo man 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    Just a suggestion. Try the Federal Premiums with the flight control wad, through a choke you already have. Might save you some looking, and money