Quiet morning in north Christian

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by JDMiller, May 5, 2017.

1. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Today is my last opportunity for me to turkey hunt the spring season. Got to the farm this morning and no doubt a steady shower of rain falling.

I've settled into a blind just waiting to hear a bird and develop a game plan. But so far... nothing. Not the first peep of a gobble.

Which overall I've killed at least one tom every season for the last 15-20 years. But this one has been a tough one for sure. My expectations just not too high.

So... just going to make the best of a day off work and enjoy Gods scenery.

Gooch likes this.
  2. cedar creek

cedar creek 8 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    I here ya I turned to bird watching and coyote hunting while I was turkey hunting, hopefully next year will play out better.

Gooch likes this.
  3. JERRY MINOR JR.

JERRY MINOR JR. Fawn

Mar 31, 2010
    BOWLING GREEN
    I feel your pain!!! I had two long beard and two jakes 75-100yrds for 3.5hrs feeding on and off in a field..
    And wouldn't you know when they finally start working my way a coyote sneaks in a runs them off....:mad::mad:
    Crazy season........

Gooch likes this.
  4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Well... this season is in the books for me....and time to fix a big bowl of tag soup... lol.

I gave it my all today... and the turkeys and the weather kicked my arse. I've seen around 15 deer today .. countless squirrels ... one chicken snake who wanted to share the blind with me .... but absolutely-0- turkeys. Never heard the first gobble from daylight to dark.

Started out at daybreak with steady showers... about 7:30 they let up and I went mobile just trying anything to make it happen. Was halfway across the farm and around 10am the freakin bottom fell out with hard rain. That lasted to around 1pm then literally the sun came out... accompanied by 40mph wind. Which I had decoys out and they looked like I had them on a drill... spinning high speed. Tried to stob them with a stick to keep them still and they freaking blew off the stake.

Just a day of hunting that just wasn't meant to be. But regardless of my complaints... still better than a day stuck at work.

Come on deer season!!

Gooch likes this.
  5. Gooch

Gooch 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2004
    .lincoln co ky
    nuttin here either

6. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    I feel your pain. My little farm was a blank for me this year. I didn't hunt but a few days and, granted, I didn't hunt it hard but after 10 am I have other stuff to do and a long drive to get back home. Only heard two gobbles on my ground this season. I've killed every year for over 20 years but it's tag soup this spring. The number of birds sure seems down to me.