Rattle snakes eastern ky

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Dreamhunter, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Dreamhunter

Dreamhunter 8 pointer

Sep 29, 2013
    I live in eastern ky been in the woods all my life in ever hollor soon will be 47 years old never seen a rattle snake untill yesterday.i was walking around a growed up log road had some high weeds in it crossed a washed out ditch looked down within two feet of me layed a rattlesnake heart dropped out my toes the rattler never made one rattle so I killed it. It was 48 inchs long had 11 rattlers one button.just woundering if any more of you mountain guys have run on rattle snakes?

2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I've came across several rattlesnakes in my life. I've never killed the first one. Killing copperheads is a different story.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    1FowlHNTR likes this.
  3. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    where i am, timber rattlers are protected. In Pa., i think you can kill one/yr or something like that.

4. wv67

wv67 6 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    I’ve seen several in my life here in the mountains of WVA , especially around strip jobs

5. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    I cant fault anyone for killing venomous snakes. Id say non venomous snakes would fill in their role in the food chain if they went extinct. Sorry but i just dont see a use for them, they fall under the same category as ticks, mosquitoes, and fleas to me.

kraynky, aaronc, BubEastKY and 3 others like this.
  6. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Never seen a rattle snake in the wild but always wanted to.Well it came a few years back ,was hired in for island creek coal ,and sent to Holden W.V. for school,they wanted us to run a telephone line through the hill to a mine ,they were setting up for training.Well these ole boys talked about all them rattle snakes,and dumb me ,replied I’d sure like to see one.well I was climbing trees to hang wire,I stepped down over on a log ,that had been pushed over back when they stripped,and almost stepped on one ,it started singing,don’t thank a grown man,can’t jump high backwards.Needless to say ,my legs were to weak to climb anymore trees that day.I don’t want to see anymore.

Feedman, BubEastKY, carnivore and 2 others like this.
  7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I think a freshly shed yellow timber rattler on a damp forest floor is amongst the most beautiful creatures on earth. I could never bring myself to kill one.

8. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Probably would be pretty ,from a distance

9. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    I've killed several crossing the road, only one I've killed out in the woods was about3 years ago while I was gienseing.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I’ve killed 3 over there. Several copperheads. Copperheads thick as thieves

11. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    When was the last time you heard of someone getting bit by one? (Outside of church services that is LOL)

1FowlHNTR likes this.
  12. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I have only seen two; both were in LBL. One time I had a truck full of girls and dogs. Spotted one on the Trace. Was gonna run over the head and get the rattles... Girls started screaming and got the dogs excited... I would have ended up with dogs and a rattler with me in between trying to keep them apart.

The second one was 15 years later and could have been the same snake because that sucker was The King of the Woods!!! It was HUGE!!! Again crossing the Trace but he had his' head up and slithering and he had at least a foot and a half of the front of the snake up off the pavement and looking around! Three other vehicles stopped to watch it cross he road...

I was awestruck! I said a prayer about never meeting him or having my dogs run up on him...

kraynky likes this.
  13. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Oh man told me once while working for the gas company,over on quick sand ,there was one crossing the road,they tried to run over it with a D 9 dozer ,but it pulled the dozer sideways and got away.Some big ole snakes over that way

14. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being bitten by a rattlesnake in my life. Been plenty of stories of copperhead bites around here though.

15. supergoat80

supergoat80 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2012
    Yeah I’m pretty sure I saw on ky afield they are protected everywhere. Due to a declining population.