Rattle snakes eastern ky

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Dreamhunter, Sep 9, 2018.

1. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    I almost forgot I killed 4 once in Breathitt Co. We were working on a railroad switch just outside of Jackson. I was shoveling some rock from around the switch when it started rattling from underneath the switch ties. I took the shovel and poked under the ties until they came out, 3 of them were about a foot long and the momma rattler I think was about 40 some inches long with 7 rattlers and a button. We had been working around the switch all morning.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I've killed two in Edmonson and Barren Counties. Both on golf courses.

3. Dreamhunter

Dreamhunter 8 pointer

Sep 29, 2013
    Thanks guys it’s fine how some people feel about them not killing them but if one is close to me I am killing it I am sure there plenty more just because you don’t see them don’t mean there not there these hills are full of these things to many acreage in eastern ky.

4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I kill every rattler and copperhead I see. I don't kill other snakes.

5. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Got bit in Mid 90's cutting firewood. Was cutting firewood lengths of a tree we cut down in the spring, this was in the early fall. You know how sometimes you feel a pinch in the back of your leg behind your knee when you been doing something in the same position for a while, well that's what I felt. Then I felt a burning and turned around and it was ready to give it to me again. So I cut him into lengths. My uncle took to the hospital, he was working with me. Got super sick n nauseous on way. Was there for 3 days then home. Wasn't fun, bunch of skin sloughed but it healed up good. Took a while for swelling to go away. Other than driving on road, have not seen another in the woods. Hope I don't at least without being up on the tractor or with warning!

6. Meatstick

Meatstick 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    I do alot of running/hiking in bernheim forest (bullitt county). See dozens a year there. I've only had to kill one. Onrey ol female in July. 64".
    I'm genuinely suprised that there aren't more snake bites occur there.

7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    That's a YUGE snake!

hotdog likes this.
  8. BubEastKY

BubEastKY 6 pointer

Sep 16, 2016
    I see them every now and then where I work on surface jobs but can’t remember ever running into one in the woods other than riding. My uncle ginsengs a lot and he has countless stories to tell about “close calls” with them.

9. Meatstick

Meatstick 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    I got a pic somewhere...

barney likes this.
  10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I caught a 56" one back in the 80's. It's head was probably 3" across.

11. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I've only seen one in the woods, but a logger I know sees more than his share. Loggers go places a hunter might not need to tread.

12. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 6 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
  13. Meatstick

Meatstick 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    IMG_20180909_173421.jpg about 8 years ago I think

bdbrown66 and BubEastKY like this.
  14. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Mr Meat that there is a jumbo rattler for sure. Ive turkey hunted a lot in Ky and am always expecting get snake bit in the mountains in the predawn darkness but so far have not . Ive had to kill a few in other states (texas, Fla, Montana, South Dakota ) when the snakes got in the middle of bird dogs which were not snake trained. It was the dogs or the snake that was gonna die or suffer some misery in those situations. Quick decisions didn't end well for the snakes. Have had five bird dogs snake bit by rattlers but none in Ky.

We used to hunt a lot back in some rough country near Red Bird Mission school and over in to Leslie County. Store back in there was the size of a one car garage, and we often would eat something in the place just to see the rattle collector the owner had on his wall--i expect the last time I saw it maybe fifteen or more years ago there were 150 rattles on it. He was not such concerned with rattlesnake conservation.

15. Mudbone

Mudbone 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2005
    Bullitt County, Ky

Someone mentioned snakes in church.....always enjoyed this little story.

carnivore and BubEastKY like this.