Rattle snakes eastern ky

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Dreamhunter, Sep 9, 2018.

1. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I knew a family in Breathitt County that had collected almost a quart jar full of rattles. It was in the 80's that I saw their collection, I'm sure the jar overflows by now.

2. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I won’t say you’re crazy,wouldn’t hurt your feelings for the world.Thats just not smart Barney

barney likes this.
  3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I was young. What can I say.:)

Nock and Dark Cloud like this.
  4. Dreamhunter

Dreamhunter 8 pointer

Sep 29, 2013
    Was going to show you guys the one I killed can’t get the picture on there says it’s to large I emailed it to myself done it as small still want.

GregoryD likes this.
  5. Dreamhunter

Dreamhunter 8 pointer

Sep 29, 2013
  6. DaveInJax

DaveInJax Spike

Aug 18, 2018
    Northeast Florida
    I would agree, except it would need to be dead :D. Nope, for me a venemous snake is a dead snake if it’s anywhere I plan to be regularly.

7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Even though I don't like it, I have never said a word to anyone for killing a snake because I know snake killin' blood runs deep, especially in Eastern Kentucky. I do make the copperheads live a hard life though..

I was working on a neighbor's barn once when I heard a huge commotion and frantic screaming coming from his neighbor's house. I ran about 100 yards to see what was going on. Three women had a big black snake bayed under a car in the driveway screaming like crazy. The ladies were scared so bad their faces had already turned to an ashen color. When they saw me coming one ran straight to me and handed me her hoe while pointing to the car saying, snake! snake! snake! I grabbed the hoe as the ladies were looking on with relief, then I got on my knees, located the snake under the car, then I pulled it out from under there with the hoe and grabbed it. Those gals looked on with open jaws as I headed back across the field with the live 4' snake. I turned it loose in the barn and continued to work.

A few days later the neighbor I was working for had heard the story. He asked me what happened to the snake. I told him what I did, and he said that it was OK, but he said if the neighbors ever ask me about it, just tell them you chopped it into a hundred pieces just like he had..:)

Drahts likes this.
  8. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    I don't know about now but back in the early 60's Pine Mtn above Whitesburg in Letcher Co the woods was full of rattlers. About 3 years ago while hiking on a trail to a waterfall on the other side of the mountain I saw a sign that read Danger Rattlesnake Country so I guess they're still in there, not to mention Black Bears!

9. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
  10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    One of our (LMO) guides and a co-worker killed 19 copperheads last week at work in Hazard. Said that many more got away. Moved an old counter weight from a dozer that had been there for years, copperheads galore. Stuff that nightmares are made of.

11. bigbonner

bigbonner 8 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    A friend of mine that I used to grow tobacco on would haul old cars and trucks to his lot for parts . One day he got into a truck he had hauled in and was bitten by a rattler . There are No poisonous snakes around here just ones that scare you .

There was also this boy who worked for me in my crop . Every time he caught a black snake by the tail he would whip it like a whip and its head would fly right off .

12. Munson

Munson 8 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    20180910_040122-810x1665.jpg here's half of one on a well known hiking trail on the way to natural bridge. He lived to see another day. She had her kids with her. Said it had the girth of a beer can. Other half got in the weeds b4 she could get control of the kids and camera out.
    The park employees like to tell ppl they don't exist(bad for biz) instead of warning them

13. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    Waco
    Have yet to see one in Madison county , but then again I have not lived here that long.. I lived in GA for 30 years and in that time only saw a few rattlesnakes and copper heads most of them in the road soaking in the warmth. I did kill one in the woods a timber rattler.. it's the ones you don't see that you need to worry about, there is no telling how many we walk by in our lifetime in the woods and never see.

14. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I hate me some copperhead. I have been struck at 3 times by them tempermental SOB's. We floated a river one day, 10 of us, 5 boats, 30 cases of beer prolly. Anyhow my former alcoholic but recovered uncle picked us up at the pickup point. We were hammered. He drove us home, we dumped the boats n gear in the yard and lit a bonfire and finished the beer. I woke up the next morning w/o a hangover somehow and started putting stuff away. Was on the last item, the minnow bucket and walked to the shed to put it away, got 4' from the door when I saw movement and jumped back. Just enough for that copperheads head to fall on the toe of my boot. He got 12 gauged. He minus head was 57". Big around as my wrist. That was in the 90's, not sure I'm fast nuff today to get back out away from that strike. Another time cousin and I were fishing creek catching crawdads for bait when needed. Tearing some smallmouth up! We flipped a rock and the copper color was incredible. We jumped back as that snake came out of there pissed. He was a big un too. Couldn't catch him to kill him.

15. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I'm assuming it was a Timber Rattler? I've seen a couple over the decades. They don't seem very aggressive. But maybe I've just been lucky.