Rattle snakes eastern ky

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Dreamhunter, Sep 9, 2018.

1. bigbonner

bigbonner 8 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    It may be a rat snake
    I was looking at the triangular head and wider at the jaws with a darker colored head

2. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    I've walked up within striking range of 2 before I saw them. Neither made a sound. One more step and I would have been bitten.
    I've killed 2 rattlers that were swimming across Dewey lake years ago. One was 100 yards from a swimming area. They are fairly easy to spot in the water. They float on top, not like a water snake that only has its head out of the water. They are awkward swimmers.
    Rattlesnakes have their place. But it is not around unsuspecting people. Killing the ones people may encounter will never make them extinct.

3. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Copperheads swim that way too. At least the ones I’ve seen swim.

barney likes this.
  4. MikeKy

MikeKy 10 pointer

Feb 17, 2008
    Never seen a copperhead swimming yet. Have seen Eastern Diamondbacks out for a swim. They swim like cottonmouths; body on top of water and head out of the water. The ones I have seen also held their rattles straight up out of the water. Glad we don't have the diamondbacks here although they seem to me to be really nice guys compared to timber rattlers. I've had more encounters with the Dbacks than the timber rattlers but the timber rattlers are the only ones that tried to do me harm.

5. aaronc

aaronc 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Aren't these guys legendary climbers too ???? Something about a climbing snake makes me like them even less.....I think they have some serious skills as hunters etc,..

barney likes this.
  6. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Yes! I've seen them climb up the side of brick houses, and have found their skins in attic insulation numerous times. If it's still standing, I know where there is a big old hollow oak tree in a fence line they use for a den. I've seen dozens of snakes in that tree at one time.

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Yes. They are quick through trees

8. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Don’t thank a copperhead can’t climb either,went through an old house one time,brother in law said didn’t you see that snake,it was on top of the door facing ,I just walked through.

barney likes this.
  9. aaronc

aaronc 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Ok....dozens of snakes in a tree is past my threshold. No fun for me nor do I really care to see it. .......for my part it would be a rutrowraggy moment.

xbokilla and barney like this.
  10. patiodadio

patiodadio 8 pointer

Mar 22, 2014
    One time when I was just a boy, we saw a rattle snake and my daddy killed it with a hoe. As he was trying to kill it, the snake bit the hoe handle several times. The next day that hoe handle had swelled up to the size of a telephone poll ! We took the big poll to the saw mill and had it sawed up into lumber, then we built a hog pen out of it. We put a hog in there and everything was fine for about a week. Then the swelling started to go down in the wood and it squished the hog to death before we could get him out.

JR PORTER, bondhu, barney and 2 others like this.
  11. hunter15270

hunter15270 Fawn

Mar 7, 2016
    My wife and I saw the biggest rattlesnake that I've ever seen on TV or any place else . It was either 1987 or 1988 and we were walking along a dry creek bed / ditch while visiting her relatives in Casey county. We heard one rattling and looked to the right of us on the bank and there was the biggest rattlesnake that you would ever want to see . We didn't stick around long enough to be sure but I don't think that was the one we had heard because it was crawling while stretched over a large rock and a sapling that was laying on the bank . That's the only one that I have ever seen in the wild myself , but my dad use to tell me about a holler some where around Hodgenville . Dad use to say the guys would wear stove pipes on their legs to keep from being bitten by the rattlesnakes that were known to be there . I would love to be able to ask him exactly where that was around Hodgenville or White City but unfortunately that is not possible.

12. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    BIL killed a 38 inch rattler in his driveway couple weeks ago and a 48 inch one yesterday driving up the holler. Other BIL killed 2 copperheads about 24 inches long next to a chicken coop at his barn last weekend.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  13. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    You need a good snake (squirrel) dog,

JR PORTER and barney like this.
  14. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    Early to mid-80s...

My father, younger brother and I set out to deer hunt near the old Scotia mines in southern Letcher Co...this is the first deer hunt in KY that I remember (most of that area went to Virginia to deer hunt)...I remember crossing a bridge in the pre-dawn darkness near the Partridge Fire Station, a field of something on the right that we drove past (a deer hunter in blaze orange sitting on a step ladder in the field), then into 4x4 and up a gravel road looping behind the mines... We hunted in a saddle between to points, my feet got wet and I thought I was going to freeze to death...saw a flock of turkeys but no deer that morning...

Walked back down the trail to a "road" leading to a sludge pond, near where we parked...the timber rattlesnake (50+" long, big around as my forearm) was lying a foot off the trail, tail singing...all we had was rifles (2 Remington 742s in 30-06, my Winchester 94 in 30-30)...we ended up killing the snake with a tree branch the we sharpened to a needle point with our hunting knives, took the snake home, skinned it out and made several hat bands with his pelt...

My father has a picture of my younger brother holding up the stick with the snake on the end (it really was over 50" long, but I cannot remember the exact length)...

In my adulthood, I have not encountered a rattlesnake in the woods...I moved to central KY in the mid-90s for work and have spent most of my time hunting the WMAs in the center part of the state...I have met two copperheads in the last 23 years (I still kill several a year in SE KY where I have a second residence, my old homeplace) and killed both of them after they both struck at me and missed...both were in the spring turkey woods...

I tend to wear heavy leather boots in the woods regardless...

patiodadio likes this.
  15. Jman

Jman 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2003
    ........did you mean to omit CHIGGERS !!! :)

carnivore likes this.