Real Talk

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Bowfinger, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    Is it time to have a real discussion about restricting oosers from all KY game and fish quota hunts? It’s no secret So.IN and So.IL flood to Sloughs and Ballard every year during duck season. With neighboring states like MO and AR restricting non resident hunters why should KY not follow suit? Let’s not stop with quota hunts. Design a lottery system for deer and turkey as well. Not a combination but a lottery for each. How many farms do you know of that are leased by non resident hunters with very deep pockets inflating all lease prices or wma’s over run with out of state hunters during spring turkey and modern rifle deer season. How about a daily usage fee for oosers on our lakes! Think about the amount of anglers that flood to KY and Barkley alone every year.

Nock, DH13, Meatstick and 1 other person like this.
  2. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    Poor bassturds can't even get drawn in their own states.... Have to show up at Ballard and pray they don't get pushed aside by some commish with the field rested for the whole week!

Bowfinger likes this.
  3. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    I would love to see a draw system for oos deer hunters. As for the waterfowl I'm sure Ballard and sloughs are getting some oos but noone is really looking at Ky as the waterfowl wonderland. I dont blame arky a bit for what they are doing our state is so overrun with oos deer hunters its pathetic.

Nock likes this.
  4. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Our neighboring states are pulling the reins back for OOS'ers and our state is welcoming them with open arms. Its not going to change either. No matter how much we gripe and moan. They want that money.

Giveem3outdoors, Nock and DH13 like this.
  5. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    I disagree. If we want change we can make it happen.

6. HeadedWest

HeadedWest Spike

Nov 22, 2016
    Agreed.

What are the numbers currently for the draw system? Is any preference given to in-state applicants?

Indirectly I know of 20+ people that put in and didn't get drawn for any quota hunts. In years past, between 4-5 of us we would always have an opportunity somewhere.

Bowfinger likes this.
  7. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

You have to ask yourself, why do OOS hunters have deeper pockets than residents? Are you saying the Kentucky education system is failing?

8. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 8 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    There is a limit on OOS for deer Quota hunts but I doubt there is for waterfowl.

Number of in state applicants for waterfowl was probably up this year. I would think that due to the changes enacted at sloughs and Ballard, lot of people put in that haven’t applied in past years

9. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I’m all for limiting them.

Giveem3outdoors and Bowfinger like this.
  10. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Here's my reasoning: the state claims that only 9% of hunters are non-resident. 9%! I don't think that's right but I've been told by their employee that 9% is the number they use. They aren't worried about what 9% of their hunting population does.

11. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    If you’re depending on the state to raise your child you’re failing as a parent. However this has nothing to do with the subject matter at hand......or does it give us a peek into the AADHD problem that prevents most from staying on task long enough to get anything accomplished.......or maybe your momma just gave you to many Mt.Dew’s as a child.

Thanks
    KDT

12. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
  13. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    I would like to see some #’s regarding this. Drilled down to deer, turkey, fishing, migratory bird permits individually.

14. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
  15. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    1% of them must come to Butler to deer hunt then.

hunt-4-life21 likes this.