Red river gorge day canoe trip

Discussion in 'Camping' started by Jeepin, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Jeepin

Jeepin 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2011
    Spencer
    looking at doing a day trip with a buddy at the gorge however I am unfamiliar with the area. My question is where is the best (most scenic) place to be able to put in and take out, making a day trip out of it. We also would like to do a little fishing as well and if all goes well take our families down there. Thank you in advance!

2. Munson

Munson 6 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    You can put in at the wolfe/Powell county line at the bridge. Im not sure of the name but it's not glady (on up from there). I always took out at shelotowee trace. It's not an all day trip but u can go on down if u wish, I just don't know about parking and such. The most scenic however is to put in at big branch in the calaboose. It's a solid 10 hours of paddling with some dandy rapids when the river is right. NOT recommended for a novice or fishing. Grab a beer&burger at the Rockhouse and pay no mind to the hipsters, they're everywhere lol.

3. Munson

Munson 6 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Oh wait you said canoe, DEFINITELY DO NOT GO TO BIG BRANCH you won't make it. Look up roughs of the red river or upper red river on YouTube and you'll see what I mean.

4. Jeepin

Jeepin 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2011
    Spencer
    Ha okay thanks. I tried calling down there to get map and recommendations but, they are only open certain days of week.

5. Munson

Munson 6 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    The rest area at slade (exit 33) should have maps I would think.It's only a few miles from the gorge or natural bridge state park. Which direction you coming from?

6. Jeepin

Jeepin 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2011
    Spencer
    I will be coming from spencer county near taylorsville lake

7. Munson

Munson 6 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    When u plan on going? If u wait until water levels drop in summer you'll be packing/pulling as much as paddling. Also, if u stay/camp overnight you will need a pass which most gas stations have. Now is the time to go (preferably weekdays) because it gets almost dangerous with the non driving yuppies on a narrow road with no lines. Tourism has exploded the last 5 yrs with it being the #1 rock climbing destination east of the Mississippi. Goodluck and ask away if u have any more questions.

8. suburbansniper

suburbansniper 6 pointer

Jan 3, 2011
    Hebron, KY
  9. Jeepin

Jeepin 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2011
    Spencer
    I am wanting to head down within the next several weeks and thanks guys!

10. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town