Ringneck......

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by CVN71 Ordnance, Oct 21, 2003.

1. CVN71 Ordnance

CVN71 Ordnance 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2003
    Strunk, Kentucky, USA.
    Why have we not started to introduce the Ringneck. And why do we not have any when bordering states have them?

2. mgrouse

mgrouse Fawn

Jan 25, 2002
    Lexington, KY.
    They will not establish breeding populations this far south. I have heard it has something to do with the mineral content in the soil attributable to the lack of prehistoric glacial activity in the state.

3. MRDUKS

MRDUKS 6 pointer

Jun 14, 2003
    MIDDLEBURG, KY, USA.
    A biologist told me it was the chiggars they would kill the birds. Also said they was trying to develop a strain that was resistant to them.

4. CVN71 Ordnance

CVN71 Ordnance 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2003
    Strunk, Kentucky, USA.
    Seems strange that chiggers would kill them, Quail and Grouse don't seem to be bothered by them. I guess the seed tick would eat them alive. I know they sure tare me up [:0][:)]

5. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    I agree Adam. Let's save what we have.

While we are the subject though. I've asked this same question to several biologist and the answer is similar to what has been posted, soil conditions or "something in the soil".

Adam or others, what actually is the reason pheasants can't live here?
    I always get, soil conditions as an answer. What exactly is it? (Don't make my head hurt either) I've killed pheasants out west further south than were I live now. Is it something that kills them or something they need our soil does not have?

6. GSP

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    I'll try that, PF.
    I've raised pheasants, chickens and quail before. We always feed them oyster shells, I didn't know why, except that was what you were suppose to do. The old timers told me it was for calcium.

7. CVN71 Ordnance

CVN71 Ordnance 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2003
    Strunk, Kentucky, USA.
    Makes sense to me. I have walked a thousand miles in the woods and rarely have I ever seen more than 1 grouse. I did one time see about 6 or 7 of them all together. My dad ask me if I had seen any grouse when I was 11 or 12 and I told him no, I saw some of the banty chickens though. I used to see a lot of quial too, but between the yotes and the hawks they are about all gone. Rabbits are getting few and far between to.

8. ksp965

ksp965 Cyber-Hunter

Aug 24, 2003
    Whitesburg, KY, USA.
    Several years ago I saw a T.V. program about ringnecks in Maine. The gist of it was that they couldn't keep pheasants there no more than we can. They developed a program where they raised and released ring necks into the wild each year. Only those people who purchased a special permit could hunt the birds. The restocking program was funded by the permit money. It was strickly on a put and take basis. You could take both males and females. I suggested the program to our commissioner but he wasn't interested. I tried to get additional information from Maine's F & W but never got a reply to my letter. Anyone familiar with this program? Is it still active? Would it work in Kentucky? Does anyone care? Hello?

9. GSP

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I used to see a lot of quial too, but between the yotes and the hawks they are about all gone. Rabbits are getting few and far between to. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I know you speak the truth here. But I'll bet you also see more fencerows gone, more creek sides cleaned off, more brush piles burnt, more small thickets cleaned up, more swamp areas drained and more fields bush hogged every year.
    Quail, rabbits, you and me ain't no different. We have to have a home and a grocery store nearby to survive. You and me are getting more each year, quaail and rabbits are getting fewer.[V]

10. CVN71 Ordnance

CVN71 Ordnance 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2003
    Strunk, Kentucky, USA.
    I have 43 acers of field, and have it split up into three diffrent fields. I have one field about 14 acers I bushhog about 3/4 of it just before deer season. The other I have a electric fence in the middle of it, so I can swap my cows back and forth. We do have about 12 acers of land used up by the new TVA power line they have put up in the last few years though. I think one year my dad killed 10 yotes there, and about two weeks ago he saw 3 and didn't get a chance to kill any of them. What would be good to plant for the quail? I can here them all the time. But I never see a covey of them. We have a bunch of Turkey also, not one of them had any little ones this year that I know of. Now let me ask this, when I was a kid me and Grandpa would call up foxes in the night shine a light on them and shoot them, of course you could get 40.00 for a good fox back then. Can you hunt yotes that way or is it against the law? I know there is something about shining a light in a field I read somewhere.

11. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    The Tin Foil Mansion
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gsp</i>
    <br />I'll try that, PF.
    I've raised pheasants, chickens and quail before. We always feed them oyster shells, I didn't know why, except that was what you were suppose to do. The old timers told me it was for calcium.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The calcium is for the egg shells(without it they will be very
    "soft"). I know this is true, when my grandmother became ill(she has since passed) she had several chickens that I tended for her (with my wife and oldest child). I still remember a time when you couldn't gather two eggs without at least one breaking. She told me we needed to get some oyster shell....like magic hard shells again(and quickly too)...without enough calcium a hen(chicken or anything else....I guess) cannot hatch the eggs...they would break....she couldn't be careful enough for any number to "make it" that long. Hope this info is useful to many who've wondered!

<hr noshade size="1">
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day!!

Reloaders Haul Brass!

12. CVN71 Ordnance

CVN71 Ordnance 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2003
    Strunk, Kentucky, USA.
    That's some great info Adam. Where can I get some plum and crabapple trees. Do they have them in Somerset? We have a lot of our tember cut in the last 6 years and with the pine beetle killing all the big pines, we have plenty of cover. I have a few small field I plant food plots in, would like to get some trees to plant around them. By the way in am in McCreary County.

13. littleindian

littleindian BBBC Members

Sep 16, 2003
    JAMESTOWN, KY, USA.
    The only good cat is a dead cat. Yotes help eliminate cats as well. Plant foods that help small game as well as deer & turkey. (milo, sunflowers, & millet).

"It's not what you take, but what you leave behind"

14. schuyler olt

schuyler olt 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2002
    Little more anecdotal info for you. The terminal moraine from the last ice age is just south of Dayton, Ohio, where I grew up. (In fact, there's a suburb of Dayton named Moraine). North of that line, pheasants reproduce in the wild and are fairly numerous, although not in the numbers we had when I was a kid. South of that line there were no birds. The reason I have always heard has to do with an absence of soil minerals that prevents the eggs from hardening. I can tell you that there is a HUGE difference in soil quality along that line in the Dayton area. They aren't even the same color or texture.

15. CVN71 Ordnance

CVN71 Ordnance 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2003
    Strunk, Kentucky, USA.
    What is a PM? I think i have seen the crabapples somewhere on the property, I think they were about the size of a dime with thorns on the bark. If I just take the apples and plant them will they grow? Back in the 70's when we used to coon hunt alot, we had 3 or 4 covey of quail. But I haven't seen them in a while, I am in the Navy so I don't get to go home all the time to look for them though. I can here them about evertime I go out.