Roadkilled Beaver

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by JR in KY, Sep 26, 2018.

1. JR in KY

JR in KY 10 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    This guy got ran over last night, I suppose in the driving rainstorm that overflowed my rain gauge. We used to have Beaver around here about 15 years ago but my neighbor didn't like them and had them all trapped out. I had not seen any evidence since...no chewed up trees or dams.
    He was a big one; at least 25 or 30 pounds.

https://i.postimg.cc/15qKXLrs/IMG_0482.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/15qKXLrs/IMG_0482.jpg

2. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

They will move place to place looking for greener pastures. I had one place I control that looking at it you would never think of there being a Beaver anyplace near it. Right beside a well travel 4 lane roadway. They kept building dam after dam trying to flood this place, only about a half acre of low land. We could tear out the dam where they built blocking a culvert with a backhoe and three days later it would be back. I wrote permission slips for a couple local trappers to have at them. They caught 5 or 6 large ones over a couple weeks time that year. One went right at 50 pounds they said. Next year more moved in and it was the same thing all over again. Only after filling in the pond did we get rid of them. A small creek ran down one side and they travel that creek in times of high water is the only way we figured they got there.

3. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    When I trapped for them it was common to catch them between the 40 and 50 lb mark, some going in the 60’s

4. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

We are lousy with them in southeastern Kentucky. Nothing like fishing at night and one of those things slaps their tail 10 feet from your boat. Causes you to dribble a little.

TripleGee and 1wildcatfan like this.
  5. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Your beaver looks a little ruff.

Carl and Feedman like this.
  6. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY Spike

Sep 9, 2018
    KY
    Nuttin like a good beaver.

7. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    Beaver.jpg

kraynky, bondhu, Nock and 2 others like this.
  8. Regulator623

Regulator623 10 pointer

Nov 16, 2006
    Eastern Kentucky
    Beavers are like engineers...you tear their dam out, they'll build it back twice as strong the next time.

9. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    My friends Dad picked one up off the road 2 years ago. In a spot you would NEVER think of seeing one. He brought to his sons garage. I was there at the time. It wasn't tore up at all. IT WAS HUGE. Put it on a scale 62 pounds. He had it mounted looks real good. Got it chewing on a river birch tree.

10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    been there and done the dribble, and that was back in the younger days. don't think my heart could take that surprise now. that slap is loud when you're close to it.

11. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

It wakes you up on a slow night for sure.