Rubber Hunting Boots.

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Carpdaddy, Jul 10, 2018.

1. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Well I don’t buy much nice stuff but a buddy found a great deal on eBay on some of the UA Storm hunting clothes so we bought two sets together and I liked them and thought well I’ll get me a whole matching outfit and feel like a big time hunter. Didn’t do any better than my Walmart specials . The boots I got are 600 gr. The soles, walkability, etc...seems ok, again just no give around my calves. They don’t stretch at all.

2. JR in KY

JR in KY 10 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I have a pair of Muck boots that I wear a lot in the winter.
    I noticed that they have dry rotted around the ankle areas and I guess that's what you can expect for 3 year old boots?
    Very comfortable boot.

3. minixjt

minixjt Fawn

Jul 10, 2018
    Paintsville, KY
    I like lacrosse for stand hunting.

4. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Irish Setter or go full bore and get a pair of Gumleaf Vikings

xbokilla likes this.
  5. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I had a pair of Irish Setter Rut Masters that I really liked. Best for comfort and traction.
    I have a pair of Lacross Uninsulated Burlys I believe, really like them. And a pair of alphas for when it gets
    colder. Like them too. Flat wore my Irish Setters out and couldn't find em on sale and I don't spend over $100
    on a pair of rubber/neo boots. Neos make my feet sweat to much and Lacrosse had a big sale last year so I bought the burly's and alphas.

6. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    About 15 years ago I decided to switch from wearing LaCrosse boots to something else. Just to experiment, I tried going back to a leather upper. That year, the biggest buck I'd taken to date walked right up to the stand on the Opener. What's more, I'd gotten a bit twisted around on my way in that morning, and come the wrong way. The buck was walked right in my tracks for better than 50 yards and did not notice. About 4 years later, my shoulder went wonky, and I had to give up bow hunting, but I still hunt out of the same stand locations. It's been a decade and a half, and I've not seen a difference.

It always used to amaze me how even I could always smell the Naptha and other aromatics coming off those LaCrosse boots, but somehow the deer weren't able to. That always puzzled me. Go figure. Somehow deer were also immune from smelling everything from Hoppes #9 to ATV exhaust, but yet they could tell from the next county if I was wearing leather boots.

Over the years, I've experimented. Rubber, rubber bottom, and leather boots all seem to have about the same effect on deer. I wrote these up for Deer & Deer Hunting when I was still associated with them. It didn't go over well, but then most of what I was into in those days was contrary to what most of their advertisers were trying to sell. It's hard to sell $300 Fart-lock suits when some goomba is writing articles saying he can hunt in Carharts and a T-shirt and have the same success. Yes, In a couple instances, I've seen deer stick their noses down into my track, but that is probably sniffing the crushed grass more than anything. I'm not saying rubber boots are a sham. However, I'm convinced folks wear them to fix a problem that isn't as bad as they think. Clean socks? You bet! The rest of it I question.

7. xilk123

xilk123 6 pointer

Oct 7, 2011
    clay co
    I have owned muck, rocky, irish setters, and lacrosse. Once I wore the lacrosse I realized how much better of a boot it is than the other ones I mentioned. More comfort and i'm on my 6th year on the same pair. I could never get more than a coouple seasons at most out of the other brands. I have the alpha burly pro's 800gram. I just ordered a uninsulated pair to replace my mucks that are comming apart after 2 years.

8. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    So what do u recommend? I had a pair of bogs and deer smelled my walk in trail. I switch to a red head rubber boots , same thing. But I remember wearing a boot in my younger deer hunting that came from nite lite catalog. They were called bird hunting boots., rubber bootoms, neoprene uppers and liners. I had deerto walk my same path and never smell me in those boots.

9. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    What do I recommend? I 've been wearing BassPro Big Timber boots during rifle season. They're waterproof and insulated. If it gets wet and nasty, I switch to the cheap duck boots (rubber bottom/leather uppers). For early season, I've been just wearing leather hikers.

10. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    These are "fishing" boots, but they are super comfortable. I bought them after a fishing trip to Alaska - these were far and away the choice of folks who worked on the fishing boats there. The pair I have has lasted about 8 years and I wear them through muck at the farm during the winter. I like them because they are very flexible and lightweight and I find I can get on and off tractors easier with these boots than the Muck boots I have. They are totally waterproof.

https://www.xtratuf.com/activities/commercial-fishing.html

11. TPHunt2Eat

TPHunt2Eat Fawn

Jun 22, 2017
    Morehead, KY
    LaCrosse makes the best rubber hunting boots I've ever tried. They're warm and will keep you dry. I have used mostly during duck season and they performed great. Last year, when we had a cold snap come through, I was out duck hunting and the temperature was -4 degrees and had no issues with my feet.

They can be a little pricey but look for them when they go on sale and think of it as an investment for your feet and comfort.