Russian Boar question

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by luvtohunt, Jun 3, 2016.

1. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    My brother and myself are considering taking our father on a Tn Russian boar hunt. I have researched several options and it seems like it would be a fun way to spend time together. Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing?? Is a Russian even worth taking for eating purposes?? Any experience would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Gooch

Gooch 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2004
    .lincoln co ky
    ive killed 3 in past years,the first was about125 lbs sow,she looked thin and week,mabey from pigs,im not shure.the meat wasnt the best.next was a 150 sow,good shape not fat but healthy,she ran the dogs hard for about a hour.this meat was exelacent.third was same as hog #2,good looking ,healthy hog great eating.but a goodfriend was along on hunt #1,killed a 200 lb boar, and could not eat any oy it.and he knows how to handle meat and perpare it.after trying several differant ways of cooking it he finally gave up.for eating i think i would try to avoid a boar if possable.my oppion

3. Reloader21

Reloader21 Fawn

May 19, 2016
    I killed a young boar, about 80lbs in Florida a few years ago. We only hunted 1/2 day, as it was sort of an add on to a family vacation.

I brought it home and had it processed just like a normal pig, and smoked most of it. Turned out pretty good, just not a lot of meat on it.

4. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    This past January me and my wife went and hunted hogs at loshbough in Tn, nice place fun hunt and great people I killed a 250 lb Russian boar and it ate just as good as any other wild meat, if your looking into a guided hunt then check them out and if you book a hunt ask for Elmer as a guide.

5. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    As far as the meat goes I don't know. But I know two people who went on hunts in TN and said it wasn't worth the time or money. We have all grown up earning our game and said that these boar showed up right on time like the guides said they would to feed sites and it was boring as hell. I wanted to go on one myself but this turned me away from it. I would say do your research before you choose a particular guide I guess. To have a 100% guarantee of a kill just doesn't seem like hunting to me. I need the risk of failure I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    Yeah that'd be like shooting a cow in a field for a steak. I think hog hunting would be fun with dogs, walk in and grab the hog by the ear and slit his throat would be the ultimate way to kill one imo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

7. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Lol yeah I never considered the knife option. I am more of a bow or gun guy.

8. RackedUP

RackedUP 8 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    I hog hunted in Florida last year with a knife. It was one heck of a rush. It's the only way I'm interested in hog hunting.

9. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    I am still VERY interested in the heli hunts in TX. They are expensive as hell though.

10. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I went with a group of 4 to Wilderness Lodge back several years ago. Which I'm not a proponent of high fence .... but that said ... best place for hogs to be is fenced.

Their enclosure was around 1500 acres total if I remember correctly. Which I was crossbow hunting ... spot & stalk. I will honestly say other than going through the fence at the start ..never really was an issue. No bait sites ... and hogs busted me several times stalking. I finally was able to slip up on a group .. at 18 yds and get a shot on a 250# Russian.

Which ... if I were gun hunting ... definitely been easier. But it took 2-days before all 4 of us killed out. No doubt not a hard hunt ... but was no slam dunk either. Just a lot of hogs to hunt ... you blow it on one group... you will find another pretty quick.

At the time it was around $600... covered the boar , 2- nights lodging... and meals. Which the accommodations were nothing fancy ... food was good and had a good time with the others in camp. We had some intense poker games in the lodge at night.

As far as the meat..... had some really good breakfast sausage made out of most of mine. But the chops and other cuts were dang fine on the grill. No strong taste at all on the one I killed. Maybe I was lucky but never heard anyone in the group complain either.

Which these hunts are what they are. I'd highly recommend using archery gear and will be challenging. Which there's several outfitters around there... had some friend go to Caryona and enjoyed it.

Which no complaints on Wilderness ... you get what you pay for. But for me it's a been there .. done that moment.

[​IMG]

Sent from my IPhone using Tapatalk

11. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Yeah I know a few guys at work that went down to Georgia and last year and hunted on a military base. They ended up with 8 boar. One guy shot 3 and a couple didn't get anything. They did spot and stalk too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk