rusted through help

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by ksteed17, Mar 2, 2004.

1. ksteed17

ksteed17 Fawn

I was given a gun by my employers dad i know its a .22 tube feed bolt action but i have know idea who made it and the barrel is totally rusted out so bad the action doesnt even move nor does the slide in the tube feed, any ideas how to get the rust off and how to find out who made.

ps i can not see any markins at all on the barrel to indicate make

2. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    use a fine steel wool similar to an sos pad

3. Tim Morris

Tim Morris Banned

Dec 19, 2003
    ksteed, I would suggest that you sandblast the entire metal portion of the gun and either have the moly-resined or teflon coated. It is cheap if you do it yourself.

"Shoot em' in the face!"

4. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    You could try doing a pencil rubbing on the side of the barrel to find the maker. Lay a piece of paper on the barrel and lightly rub over the paper with the edge of a pencil lead. As for cleaning it up, if it's as bad as use say, it probably ain't worth the steel wool you would use.

5. kdfwr907

kdfwr907 6 pointer

Dec 29, 2003
    Jackson Co
    I would suggest using a brass brush, like an old suede leather brush.

Old trick my Grandfather showed me, as the steel is harder than the brass, but the brass is harder than the rust. Use it like you are buffing the polish off of a shoe, and it will work pretty well.

I would be very careful using steel wool, as you can do a good bit of damage with it.

Also, use liberal amounts of penetrating oil, and let it sit for a day or so before you start working on it.

6. Tim Morris

Tim Morris Banned

Dec 19, 2003
    Do you want to sell it? I will buy it if you dont want an arm and a leg.

"Shoot em' in the face!"