Sandhill Cranes

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Rick in NKY, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Rick in NKY

Rick in NKY Fawn

Nov 1, 2016
    I recently was lucky enough to be drawn for tags through the lottery for Sandhill Cranes this year. I've never hunted them before and was looking for tips on these guys, as well as any information where I can begin looking for WMA's or land to hunt. Any and all information is welcome. Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  2. 1FowlHNTR

1FowlHNTR Fawn

Jul 29, 2017
    Rowan County
    I put some tips in the waterfowl section on Sandhills. I don't know WHERE to hunt them here, but if you have any questions, message me

3. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    I hear them go over the house in Burkesville but I don't where they are putting down.

4. Rick in NKY

Rick in NKY Fawn

Nov 1, 2016
    Thanks for the information!

5. Big_Steve

Big_Steve Spike

Aug 21, 2007
    Richmond, Ky
    No idea how to hunt them, but I know they are the best meat with wings I have ever eaten. They really do earn the title "Ribeye in the sky."

6. SmokeShow

SmokeShow 10 pointer

Nov 11, 2013
    Every year these threads pop up about the Sandhills and every year the mention of them being the best game meat is mentioned and it makes me want to try one so bad.

For the most part, it seems that we (KY) are just a flyover for them coming through on their way to somewhere... What part(s) of the country are they actually hunted where people setup to hunt them just like folks hunt geese and other migratory birds?

7. Meatstick

Meatstick 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Texas

8. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Indiana gets a ton of them but there is no season. People come to look at them

9. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 8 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    A buddy of mine here in Harrison County has a large 9 acre pond I can remember two years ago the sandhill crane’s landed and stayed to rest. I can remember them flying over occasionally and they had the weirdest sound as they flew

10. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Tennessee has a season also where they hunt them over decoys.

11. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Don't know here to hunt them in Ky. So I don't put in. But Canada and Dakotas has them and they are GOOD EATING.

12. Big_Steve

Big_Steve Spike

Aug 21, 2007
    Richmond, Ky
    The two I was given came from Texas. Buddy lives outside of Dallas. They hunt them in harvested fields over decoys he said.