School is cancelled

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by 1sttop, Apr 12, 2018.

1. I’ll answer that. Taking somebody’s money on a future promise, then using the money to pay your bills and pilfering it away is “theft” by almost anybody’s definition. Right?

2. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "

Ed.... in reference to bad mathematics.

You do realize the Ky General Assembly constructed KRS in 1956 and have created / approved the various system plans and modifications to date.

In turn .. which most refer to it as “a promise”... it’s actually a statute there in making it a law requiring the GA to fund the retirements they created. The “inviolable contract” to public employees is only a portion of this from that aspect.

Being the only people that have actually followed through with required contributions by statute have been employees and their employers. Which they have honestly had no choice in the matter concerning contribution rates or the plan their required to participate.

So... is it bad math, Ponzi scheme retirement plans... whatever you want to call it or believe it is. But it was 100% created by the legislature.

3. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 8 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Pension plans are funded with PROFITS. Either Defined Contribution or Defined Benefit Plan. Governments do not make profits. They may occasionally have budget surpluses thus they should not have pension plans.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    drakeshooter likes this.
  4. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    After last weeks shenanigans, I'm trying to figure out a way to logistically get my child out of public schools and enrolled in a private school.

These teachers can protest all they want, they can even use all the sick days they want and force schools to be canceled, that's their deal.

However, when my 9 year Old daughter comes home and says she learned that Governor Bevin was a thief and stole teachers pensions, I have a problem!

Why involve children in this drama? Why did these teachers decide using my daughter as a political pawn was acceptable? My daughter didn't even know what a pension really was!!!

I could behave as badly as these teachers and get my daughter a shirt that says: I love our Governor! Maybe I could get her a trapper keeper with Bevin's picture on it!

Rat, barney, slicked-it and 2 others like this.
  5. Poorboy

Poorboy 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2005
    under the bank
    Have you gone to the trouble to address that problem?

6. Teachers openly badmouthed the KY superintendent of public instruction in front of us in the 80s so it’s an issue that’s been going on for decades and I agree with you there is no place for it in public schools.

slicked-it likes this.
  7. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Private school is anyone’s option.... but be it tv / media, school, friends, us as adults at home..... our kids are going here differing political views. In turn ...even at private schools this does not isolate them from it...college is even worse.

But again it’s anyones perogetive..... but a rather expensive one if it’s only justification is from a political perspective.

https://www.privateschoolreview.com/tuition-stats/kentucky
    “Kentucky Private Schools By Tuition Cost. The average private school tuition in Kentucky is approximately $6,305 per year. The private elementary school average is $5,425 per year and the private high school average is $7,418 per year.”

8. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    All hail Saint Bevin the Butthurt! LOL

Can you get a shirt and trapper keeper with your beloved governor's erroneous quotes about teachers on them as well?!

“I guarantee you somewhere in Kentucky today a child was sexually assaulted that was left at home because there was nobody there to watch them.”

“I guarantee you somewhere today a child was physically harmed or ingested poison because they were home alone because a single parent didn’t have any money to take care of them.”

Yet you sir kept your daughter out of harm's way, great job. It's called "parenting." Let me see if I have a gold star or participation trophy lying around here for you somewhere!

Let's not throw all teachers under the short bus because of what some of them may have said.

9. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    What were last weeks shenanigans again? Schools canceled because there’s not enough subs to cover the teachers who want to practice their right to protest? Again pension and sick days were previous news. They’re mad about it but that wasn’t on the table. A decision was already made on that. This was about settling the budget. It’s your right to enroll her in private schools. Warning: she will most likely be educated from some retired public school teachers. I know this b/c we have some of the best private schools in the state in my city. From what I’ve read double/dipping is highly frowned upon on this forum as well. Also, send her with that Tshirt and pic. Make her talk up why you love and support him so much. You’re within your rights. Just keep in mind you’ll be doing the same thing as the ones who have upset you. You’re just supporting and pushing politics from your angle. I agree if the message was sent by a teacher then it’s wrong. I’ll just throw this out for you non-believers who think this is all a red vs blue game. Most of the educators in my realm voted for Bevin, consider themselves conservative, and are not NEA/KEA members.

10. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY

Yes, for what it's worth.

I spoke to the Superintendent of the school system, however in my opinion, he's useless with no backbone, will say anything to get a parent off his back. He told me that he totally agreed with me that dragging children into this was completely wrong. Within the next hour he was shown on FB taking pictures it's the same teachers (during school hours) holding up signs saying Bevin stole their pension.

Poorboy likes this.
  11. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    I do still support my governors stance on the pension, I however don't think this plan went far enough to save taxpayer money. I was hoping more for access to a 401k style plan.

I do not support the governors derogatory comment.

I also don't support teachers "teaching" falsehoods, not once did these teachers mention that the pension fund has been raided for years, long before Bevin became governor. Not once did they mention the percent of pension liability Bevins budget allowed versus the last few administrations. No once has her teachers mentioned that previous administrations just looked over this problem, not doing anything to attempt to correct it. If your going to teach pensions, teach about why the pension got in the shape it's in over the last 15 years. Why blame it ALL on Bevin.

My daughters education, not teachers one sided opinions, happens to be the reason she goes to school. I haven't felt for the last few years she's getting the best possible education in the Letcher County Schoolm System, I think this latest episode is the straw that broke the camels back as far as sending her to a private school. Many local teachers have let this pension situation totally consume them, they spend more time making posters, flyers, and sharing KEA posts on Facebook than teaching. One middle school teacher in our system made 26 posts on Facebook Thursday while she was at school during classroom hours. If most of us in the private sector spent that much time on Facebook during work hours we'd be looking for another Job.

And, for the record, My household has a current state retirement plan.

300winmag and drakeshooter like this.
  12. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY

My child receiving a good education is worth many more times the amount you stated.

School systems, just like the rest of government, can not manage money and/or operate efficiently. We may not have enough class books to go around for all the students, but by god we have an Astro turf football field, although our football team still couldn't manage to win a single game last season!!

Rat, Poorboy and drakeshooter like this.
  13. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
  14. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    xbokilla, I've tried, but I can't find an article that details the budget, or explains what it is about the budget that prompted teachers to protest. Do you have a link or anything that clears any of this up?
    As far as I can tell, most folks are under the impression the protests were at least partially about pension issues.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  15. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "

I don’t disagree with that at all ... the education is top priority.

If someone is in the financial position to afford private school and believe it’s for the best interest for their child... go for it.

But regardless of your best intention and money you spend...it won’t keep your child away from differing political views.

Which what is worse... bad mouthing a politician ...or say pushing anti-gun, pro gay rights or liberal views in general. In my opinion... pick your poison.