Seed ticks

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by mudhole crossing, Sep 9, 2017.

1. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 10 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    im 43 years old and live in knott co ky. Never knew there was such a thing as seed ticks other than reading about them on here. I've killed about 25 on me today. I can feel then crawling on me! Almost microscopic to see. What to do?

2. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 10 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    No biting just crawling. Not in my hair or scalp. Just arms mostly. I've sprayed couch, recliner, showered x2, and washed clothes. Still crawling on me!

3. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    Bleach will get them off of you, spray down with permethrin the next time you go out

4. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    As much as it may go against manly beliefs, get a razor and shave your legs or affected areas. Takes them right off. I've had to do this a time or two.

Capttrae likes this.
  5. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    Talk with your pharmacist. There are products he/she can suggest that will kill the ticks you have on you. There are other products that can be sprayed on your clothes (Sawyer spray) to help keep the ticks off of you.

Some people (like me) have an exaggerated response to the bites. I have to get prescription medications for severe itching any time I get more that a handful of bites. Other people aren't as sensitive. Do not put off going to the doctor if you have a fever or drainage or swelling or a rash around the bites.

The ticks are so small I can't pick them off with my fingers. The best way I've found to get them off me - if they aren't attached - is with duct tape. Roll the tape around your hand - sticky side out - and press the sticky side against the ticks. I enjoy burning the tape with the ticks on it after they are captured.

gdb and Capttrae like this.
  6. rlb165

rlb165 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    X2 on using tape to pull them off. I've also used a lint roller, but the clear 2" wide packing tape is the best thing I've found so far. I like the idea of burning the tape.
    Two different times, I've been wearing shorts around weeds and stuff and found a little patch of these things about an inch across on my knee. The first time, I tried spraying them off with a garden hose. That didn't work at all.

7. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    I killed a deer earlier this week. You won't see the microscopic ticks, they will bit, feed, and drop off. If you got them good, you will start itching tomorrow and the places will ooze for weeks. Good luck! I took a shower, but didn't help, they had already bit me.

8. Zeb

Zeb 6 pointer

May 20, 2008
    Goshen, KY
    Go to store and buy RID or some other kind of the shampoo they make for lice. Scrub your whole body with it and it'll do the trick. I got into a bunch of them and had a real tough time getting them off, even after a couple of hot showers. They're just too small for me see. One attached to the back of my shoulder and I didn't know it until it got sore. Had to get my wife to dig it out with tweezers.

skeetshooter105 likes this.
  9. Mxcmxc

Mxcmxc Spike

Dec 3, 2016
    I used masking tape and the ol lady with tape and a headlamp the only time I got them.. But definitely tape.

10. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Damn. I think I am done bowhunting in sempt. LOL

11. elkaholic

elkaholic 10 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I went on a 3 day bowhunt years ago with some buddies at West Ky. WMA and all of us were covered in those nasty things when we came home. We was itching for weeks. We never went back there either.

12. travis_duckhunter

travis_duckhunter 8 pointer

Aug 16, 2007
    Owensboro, KY
    They hatch in August and can get you through October. My daughter and I got COVERED youth season a couple years back in mid October. Wear tall boots, tucks your pant legs in, wear long sleeves, tuck your shirt in. Most importantly, spray all your clothes, drench rather, with permethrin. Let them hang and dry. That one treatment is good for several weeks and actually through several washes. I touch them up after washes.

I got deathly sick after getting covered in them a couple years back. I haven't had a bit of problem since taking a few extra precautions. Repel, Off, etc doesn't do a thing for them, permethrin actually kills them. It's amazing how many I'll have dead on my clothes after a long day in the woods.

13. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

I had about 2000 in a spot the size of a softball Friday afternoon... grabbed my permethrin spray and killed every last one of them.... Worst year we have seen around the house.

14. scratcherky

scratcherky Fawn

Jun 25, 2009
    Louisville
    Take a wash cloth soaked in kerosene and rub all over your body. That will get rid of them and chiggers. Then take a shower to get kerosene off.

15. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    Ah memories...the first time Dad and I got covered up in those damn things was at West KY WMA.

Good ol'Dawn dish soap will kill hell out of ticks and fleas. I keep it and Permethrin on hand.

If you have them crawling on you just wrap masking tap backwards around your hand and it will grab them. Use duct tape if you don't mind losing some hide.

elkaholic likes this.