Seed ticks

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by mudhole crossing, Sep 9, 2017.

1. MikeKy

MikeKy 10 pointer

Feb 17, 2008
    Tall boots need to be tall lace up boots. Regular old rubber boots are like having a tick funnel on each leg. Learned that the hard way. If they bite and you get those nasty blisters Tinactin Spray Powder dries them up in half or less time than they normally take to heal. Stops the itching and oozing too at least for a while.

2. elkaholic

elkaholic 10 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    It wasn't by any chance at a Kentucky Bowhunters Association rendezvous was it?

3. elkaholic

elkaholic 10 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I learned something years ago. Wrap duct tape around your pants legs over the tops of your boots to keep them out of your pants, and use a repellant. I buy a roll of camo duct tape every year.

davers and barney like this.
  4. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    No, I believe we were running hounds. I recall it being rather warm and the horse weeds is where we run into the ticks.

elkaholic likes this.
  5. travis_duckhunter

travis_duckhunter 8 pointer

Aug 16, 2007
    Owensboro, KY
    I spray the inside of my boots, my pant legs, and my socks... it's funnel of tick death.

davers likes this.
  6. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    I agree with the tape. Dad always wore tall rubber boots with his pants tucked in the boots then he'd tape the tops of the boots to the pants. I used to think it was overkill, but I've found myself going the extra mile since a tick bacterium kicked my butt.

davers likes this.
  7. Huntertyler

Huntertyler Spike

Nov 3, 2014
    Madison county
    I have been battling these dudes the last few times I've gone to the farm. You sit and pick them off then touch your pants or such and get another 30 on you. I have yet to find a concoction to keep them off but the prescribed itch cream elidel is the best ointment to keep down the itchiness. The bites seem to have been a problem for a week or two before I was prescribed that medicine. My uncle also sprayed the farm with a chemical called talstar and it has helped tremendous amounts.

8. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch Fawn

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    They have been awful this year. I've found more this year than in the previous 20.

9. RVtech24

RVtech24 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    The Deep Woods
    The best thing I found that stops the itching, is salt, just sprinkle some on a wet paper towel and rub it on the bites, or just mix up some in a spray bottle. It helps to stop the itching and keeps them from getting infected.

barney likes this.
  10. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Cripes! Nearly microscopic?? I guess I've never run into these things--ever.

Well, maybe I did last year. On my back shoulder, I had, what I thought was a few of skeeter bites. Itched like crazy. Kinda grew in size and yeechy stuff sorta oozed out. Never had this happen before with skeeters, but I went to the doc because I thought it had gotten infected or something from all the scratching.

Maybe that's what this was--seed ticks? Never dealt with this before...that I know of.

11. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    Get a couple bottles of Tink's # 69
    And pour it over your head
    Rub it good under your arms and all your crevices.
    Don't shower for 3-4 days.

You won't have to worry about them ticks no more.