Senior/disabled License survey

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by katlynn, Apr 4, 2017.

1. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I could qualify to get a disability waiver and pay only $5.00, but I buy a $95.00 Sportsman's license every year. If they try to gouge seniors and disabled, I'll cash in my chips and only pay the $47.50 from now on.

2. JR in KY

JR in KY 10 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Well, I hope they enjoy the $5 I spent a couple months ago.....if it goes up ton $47.50 or something like that, I won't be buying any more of them.

JR PORTER and EC like this.
  3. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    On the subject of this thread: Senior/Disability licenses; thought I’d run this idea past you folks here. How about the State start charging a surcharge-tax rate of 3% to 5% on firearms and ammunition; A 3% additional tax on a purchase of a firearm and 5% additional tax on ammunition & reloading components. This would help make-up dollar losses, to the Fish & Wildlife Department, instead of an enormous price rise on Senior & Disability of some $47.00. I wouldn’t be opposed to paying $20 for a Senior Hunting & Fishing license if it would help the department with much needed funds for projects for future protecting Hunting & Fishing in Kentucky. But an enormous price increase, of $47, would cause many 65 year old + & Disabled Hunters, out in the fields & lakes, to stop hunting & fishing. Might also want consider a non-resident hunting/fishing license increase to $200.00, for both, with Turkey permits increase to $100, with Deer $200; and leave resident licenses & permits as they are now. What say you guys?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  4. wprebeck

wprebeck 10 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Nope. I have no desire to further subsidize KDFWR. I buy several licenses every year - for me, my wife, and two of the four kids, one of whom is 17 and is required to buy an adult license. I have two boats registered, and put in for quota hunts.

I'll kindly request that my reloading components - which skyrocketed after the last dumbass took office - be left alone. I've seen about a 30% increase in components, and that doesn't include brass, since I have a source that is free.

JR PORTER and JR in KY like this.
  5. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I see your point. Just a thought I had that if properly implemented would provide the K.D.F.W. with some much needed funds, by the idea I posted.

6. wprebeck

wprebeck 10 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    I agree they could use funding, but I don't agree with license increases. Of course, I don't have any better ideas.

7. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    They are going to have to choose between gouging residents and resident seniors/disabled, and raising fees on "Out of State" hunters. They are public servants, and they need to realize who they serve. A slight increase in licenses would be acceptable to most, but gouging never will be. Leave our gun and reloading taxes alone.

KYBOY likes this.
  8. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    Most people I hunt with do the bare minumum, including me . I'm sure this will just make it more so.

9. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    How about just an even percentage across the board. I am not a senior yet but know folks who purchase this license and its just wrong to increase any one thing by that much. I am no expert on the out of state, but we talk to a man who owns 1400 acres of prime hunting real estate. We thought Oboy we've hit the mother load. He goes on to tell us it is leased out to an outfitter across the river . Lease was a "chunk O money" . The lodge they run out of was a 1\4 million dollars . If all this is legit. Barn yard knowledge says if there's that kind of money being rolled out for the land to hunt. There's juice there for out of state license's increase.

10. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    I agree to a point. A rise to $20 would be prudent, but to hit the NR with even higher is uncalled for. Im a Kentuckian, born here, raised here, lived in Henderson for the first 54 years of my life, but married an Ohio girl and we are living across the Ohio river just outside of Evansville Indiana. I already pay $215 to spring turkey hunt. But if they raise it, they raise it, i will pay it to hunt my home state. My dad is nearing 94, he can afford in the increase, but there are many that it would be troublesome. Perhaps the $47 proposal is a trail balloon and will settle in the 20-25$ range!

11. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I used to buy licenses when I knew I'd never even use them...just to help them out. Especially during years I knew I would be traveling 90% of the time out of state on business.

So much for helping out...now they want to gouge people on fixed incomes, people who've diligently paid for licenses for decades (even when many knew they'd never even see a game warden--I've seen one in my entire life) and folks who are even lucky to be able to step out of the car on their own to get into the field. So they can piss off.

JR PORTER likes this.
  12. Docwaters

Docwaters 6 pointer

Sep 27, 2013
    Prospect
    To pretend that the benefits we receive from F&W aren't worth that amount is ridiculous. Costs of personnel, benefits, maintenance, fuel and everything else has skyrocketed since the last increase. When you look at the aging demographic of our country at large and multiply that by a factor of the age of hunter participation, it is disingenuous to take the position the increase is not only warranted but necessary. Want to make a difference? Recruit new hunters. It is a dwindling number that bears the cost.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  13. wprebeck

wprebeck 10 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    I've done my part - I have four kids that hunt with me. Still not willing to pay higher fees - especially when the agency does stupid crap, like make employees take furlough days off, when their budget is totally separate from the general fund.

As I commented elsewhere online - perhaps the state should take a look at why they continue to pay assholes to sit at home and get unearned benefits, before messing with ANYONE who actually works for a living. I'd bet the state could find all kinds of income, if meaningful and substantial welfare reforms were made.

TripleGee likes this.
  14. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I don't think anyone implied that the benefits received are not worthy of appropriate monetary increase.

As such I've always been supportive of KDF&WR's....but where I split hairs is deeming what is an appropriate increase ??

To propose to go from $5 to dang near $50 in one whack on a certain segment of our resident sportsman population ....should be enough for anyone to take pause. In my opinion there's acceptable....then there's this. Which in past history I've never seen a sudden $40+ increase levied on resident sportsman at once. In turn ... I'd expect if a $40+ increase was attempted on the remaining segment of resident sportsman there would be a mutiny arise.

Why not an across the board increase to all residents & non-resident sportsman if there is indeed such a financial burden within KDF&WR's. Which a $5 or $10 for everyone would no doubt be better received and probably be more beneficial financially .

In my opinion KDF&WR's has failed miserably concerning thought process in this proposal and presentation. As such this has occurred several times in the last year involving surveys & potential changes in general. As it conveys a mentality to its residents that has long lasting ill effects concerning the overall perception of the department. It does nothing but invite our legislators to get involved in the departments affairs as no doubt those senior sportsman are also voters who can bend a politicians ear.

Seems we have gone from a management aspect of conservation, resources & opportunity for its residents...to one based on pimping & gouging our resource for monetary gain. I just don't like the direction were headed at this time.

15. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind