Senior/disabled License survey

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by katlynn, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Oletrapper1

Oletrapper1 Spike

Feb 6, 2011
    Ky
    No need to verify GDB. It is true. Read here. http://www.kybassfed.com/news/3422/

I own and live on a farm and will never purchase another license. I have bought a license every year from the age of 16. Continued to buy one even though I owned land I could fish and hunt on in order to support the programs of the KDFWR. NO more! Unless of course they change the law that would make even a land owner BUY a license to hunt or fish on their own land. It certainly would not surprise me. Not one mention of raising the license fees for non-residents! Why was that? Also, the article quotes figures of senior license sales going from 90,000 to 120,000 but no mention of how many of those have passed away. Just more BS from KDFWR to justify the increases.
    KDFWR has become just one more state bureaucracy. One that the Sportsmen and Women fund. I will no longer take part in that. Maybe there will be others that feel as I do. Time will tell.
    It is a sad day for the Sportsmen and Women in Kentucky. Especially its Seniors!
    Thanks, OT

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    EC and gdb like this.
  2. scratcherky

scratcherky Fawn

Jun 25, 2009
    Louisville
    I have got senior license for 12 years and have never once received a survey of any kind. I totally agree that KDFWR has long ago become a bloated and crooked state bureaucracy.

gdb and EC like this.
  3. rustyanchor

rustyanchor Fawn

Dec 5, 2016
    Adair Co
    Guess I'll pay another $13 for a Sportsman's license with additional deer tags.
    It isn't the great deal it was, but it is still a great deal.
    I deer and turkey hunt my own land, but go to neighboring farms for varmints and I do fish the Green River once in a while. I don't need to hunt varmints on the neighbors or fish the river, but the Disabled license lets me.
    I realize people are all wrapped up on the 235% increase, but the license will still be under $20 and in my opinion still a heck of a deal, last increase was 10 years ago for Resident lic. and this is the first increase for the Senior/Disabled since it was created in '99 according to the KYBASSFEED article linked above.
    I read on here that Ky is one of the top deer states, Do license fees support deer herd management, the biologists, and researchers that give us that good deer herd, do they support the education center at Salato? I don't know if KDFWR does anything with turkey flock management but I have a pretty good stock of them running around and I heard somewhere that people like to hunt them too.

I don't work for KDFWR, but I believe from my limited interactions with them, and the hunting and fishing opportunities I have, that they do pretty good managing the wildlife.

Just my opinions and thoughts. YMMV
    Mark

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  4. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    Raise the Non-Resident and leave the seniors alone!

5. katlynn

katlynn 6 pointer

Sep 20, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I think they have failed to take into account senior/disabled resident land owners that don't have to buy a license. There are three in my family that have purchased the $5 license so that the KDFW get the 40 or so dollars from the feds. They won't be buying this year. So KDFW is missing out on far more than their $5. Had they done a nominal increase across the board, they probably could have increased revenue without angering those that buy the senior/disabled license.

gdb likes this.
  6. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

$5 or $18 it makes no difference in how much federal funds they get. It is based on license sold and by raising the cost and less seniors buying license they may very well come out in the hole.

katlynn likes this.
  7. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    If they really want input from hunters, they should do it on social media or even snail mail. I can't drive 320 miles round trip tomorrow for a meeting. It sounds like a phony attempt to reach hunters so they can say they "tried". If it isn't, somebody needs to pull their head out of something and make another attempt to find out what WE think.

Dark Cloud, bondhu and gdb like this.
  8. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    If the new senior license is $18 then I figure I just saved $32 because I would've paid $50 for it. I remember the old days of hunting in Kentucky and do not want to go back them. KDFWR has done a great job restoring deer and turkeys. I, for one, thank them.

turk2di likes this.
  9. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Sometimes it’s not the cost being the factor.... but more-so the principle.

Which to me... those around my age(50) and younger... weve reaped a lot of benefit that honestly was set in motion by our senior sportsmen.

Which don’t get me wrong KDF&WR’s should get their props no doubt. But it took a lot of help & support from our now older hunters to get us where we’re at. As Ky is predominately private land hunting and KDF&WR’s can only do so much and a larger aspect of the management was in the field.

In turn .. and I’ve got one in my family that their age & health is teetering somewhat concerning their ability to continue to hunt. Which again cost isn’t the issue but there’s a negetive opinion involved that will do more harm than good. As after reading about the increases he told us that he’s done with hunting and honestly .. there’s no changing his mind as he feels slighted to a degree.

Heck I told him I’d buy his license as long as he felt like hunting a couple times a year. But he won’t have it.. he’s just pissed on the principle of things and won’t give KDF&WR’s another dime.

I feel like he’s not alone and will ultimately cost the department more than just a few dollars. A lot of bad PR to be had from many right now.

gdb, Dark Cloud and bondhu like this.
  10. katlynn

katlynn 6 pointer

Sep 20, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    My objection is that they targeted seniors. Instead of nominal increases across the board they cherry picked a few and then raised seniors by nearly 4 X's.

KYBOY, gdb and bondhu like this.
  11. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Does Roger Goodell moonlight at KDF&WR? If you set in a meeting with them they can give good reasons as to increase " its not much money,haven't increased in a long time, etc." But they cant answer........ "WHY?"
    If numbers are what you need you would think if anything they would lower it $1, send a invite to every senior in the state by mail, with a license in it, That only needs signed and $1 returned in the enveloped provided, no postage necessary

gdb and Dark Cloud like this.
  12. Drahts

Drahts 6 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I agree with the "no targeting the seniors" in this, there is a ton of other ways they could have raised the amount of funds this will raise. Is $18 a good deal for a license sure, but that isn't the principal, the principal is most seniors are on fixed income and many of those barely get by on what their pensions are now. It's a shame to target that group with needs for budget $$. How many licenses are sold now? How many of those own their own land but still bought license? How many of those won't buy any longer? So they will inevitably lose $$ and have alienated a group of sportsmen/women who helped build this states wildlife numbers and habitat. They could have bumped the non-res $$ and more than tripled their funding parlay. Again, big govt doing things without thinking it out fully nor doing the proper analysis before putting forth legislation. Sad.

davers and bondhu like this.
  13. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    They could have raised the senior license to $10.00 an they would have not gotten much complaining. Then raise the non resident license $25 to $30 each an probably still sold the same amount of tags an raised more revenue

14. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I own and live on my hunting property, have a nice home and hunting grounds within walking distance. I've been purchasing Senior Citizen licenses since I turned 65. However I doubt if I will buy one next year, not because of the money, but because I share the belief here that it isn't all that fair to Senior Citizens. The Kentucky Fish & Wildlife has made a very unwise choice with their price increase on Senior Citizen licenses.

gdb likes this.
  15. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I think that's the jest of it. They could have done a nominal increase for seniors and other license buyers.

davers likes this.