Settle rifle

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by bgkyarcher, Apr 5, 2018.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    My wife and I lucked into a Settle rifle a couple of years ago. She is a descendant, and we've been looking for one since we got married in 1990. It's in pretty solid condition. I've been itching to shoot it. Any of you guys familiar with old front loaders? If I loaded it with a light charge, you think it would be OK to shoot it?

2. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    Take it to somebody that knows muzzleloaders and preferably antiques. There is no way to tell you it is safe without an in-person inspection. Many of those old guns are just fine to shoot, but many others need some work , or should never be shot. It all depends on each individual rifle.

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  3. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    Getting it inspected is a good idea. But if it is going to be fired someone is going to have to be first. In the old days they proved a gun was safe to shoot by shooting it. But not at their shoulder, in case it wasn't. If it was Ok with a light load, they fired it with a heavier load, then up to a heavier than normal load. I've read they doubled the load in some cases and fired them. If their were no issues, they were then stamped with a proof mark as a record they had been tested.
    Going through that procedure with an antique rifle would tell you if is is safe to shoot. But if it proves it isn't--you've got a destroyed rare antique.

4. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Who built yours BG? William, Felix, Simon, or Willis?

5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
  6. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    That’s pretty cool. I read that they would stamp the gun with the maker, location it was made, and some have a date.

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I
    Texted you the stamp. It doesn't have a date or #, just his name.

8. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    So cool. Good for you finding one