Shooting range

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by binky001, Oct 22, 2003.

1. binky001

binky001 Spike

Sep 17, 2003
    Richmond, Kentucky, USA.
    just wondering if anyone had any info about an indoor shooting range around Lexington area...oh yeah, fireams not archery

2. Turtleky

Turtleky 10 pointer

I know they just put one in up there somewhere. Pistols only. If that is what you are interested in let me know. I can email a friend and get you some details on it.

3. gotopless

gotopless 6 pointer

Apr 8, 2003
    flemingsburg, ky, USA.
    i think bud's is opening one in paris

4. Yeah, Bud Wells has one in Paris but it is handgun only.

Yeah, women love hunting, too! This one lives for it.

5. greenskeeter

greenskeeter Cyber-Hunter

Nov 3, 2002
    Bardstown, KY, USA.
    Binky, check out the following post. It mentions a new range in Lexington. I only know as much as is in the post.

http://www.kentuckyhunting.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4667

6. binky001

binky001 Spike

Sep 17, 2003
    Richmond, Kentucky, USA.
    hey thanks for all the advice... I was looking for a place to shoot my deer rifle...Seeing how early it gets dark and all....

7. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    This may help.

Anyone close to Jessamine county or Lexington needing a place to sight
    their rifles in? Blue Grass Sportsman's League is having an open house the weekend of October 25 & 26. Saturday there will be a 100, 200 & 300yd ranges set up with spotting scopes and targets. Sunday there will be Skeet, Sporting Clays,Trap and the rifle ranges. Also Cowboy action shooting.
    All is welcome to attend.
    Please feel free to contact me or check out
    BGSLinc.com
    Rick _GSP

8. CVN71 Ordnance

CVN71 Ordnance 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2003
    Strunk, Kentucky, USA.
    When I retire I had though about opening a indoor shooting range, but with McCreary County being so poor, I don't believe it would support it. Somerset probably could, don't know if I would want to drive that far everyday. But then with the job market around here I might have to anyway. [:(]

GO NAVY!!!

9. bennypapa

bennypapa Fawn

Nov 3, 2003
    check this out, off of old Frankfort pike and New Circle

http://www.bluegrassrange.com/

Also, I think that you can use the states WMA's as gun ranges. As long as you aren't poaching and are obviously just target shooting, I think it is legal to shoot firearms on them.

The Kleber WMA north of frankfort would be the closest to Lexington

See ya, Bennypapa

10. GSP

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Also, I think that you can use the states WMA's as gun ranges. As long as you aren't poaching and are obviously just target shooting, I think it is legal to shoot firearms on them.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    No it ain't! Unless they have a gun range.

11. bennypapa

bennypapa Fawn

Nov 3, 2003
    I don't want to pick a fight so don't get mad but..

Do you know where it is written that it is illegal to shoot guns on wma's out of season???

I'm not arguing, just trying to learn.

FWIW, the Kleber WMA over north of Frankfort has a range. Fortunately for me that was where I was gonna go anyway.

I called and asked about guns and wma's today, the lady that answered the phone was CLUELESS. Just clueless.

So, it is legal to hunt them but they have their own rules so call and check.

I would like to know where to look this up since the KDFWR receptionist didn't know and didn't even know who I should ask either.

Thanks

12. bennypapa

bennypapa Fawn

Nov 3, 2003
    I found this in the fall hunting and trapping guide 2004

page46,
    hunting on wma's
    section 1

"General user guidlines for all wildlife management areas owned or managed by the KDFWR

1) For game listed in this guide, hunting seasons on the WMAs listed in section 2 are open only as stated. Hunting for groundhogs, coyotes, wild hogs or other species that may be hunted year round, is permitted on all WMA's. Only drawn hunters may take these species during deer, pheasant and elk quota hunts."

So, unless a deer, pheasant, or elk hunt is under way, you CAN have firearms on a WMA and you can shoot them as long as you are a licensed hunter and unless there is a gun range. In the case of the gun range you must target shoot at the range. Otherwise you can hunt the above mentioned species year round.

Does anyone else read that differently?

13. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    WMA's must have gun ranges (skeet, trap, rifle) in order to just shoot. You can not sight rifles in or bring boxes of clay pigeons. It's in the hunting guide, but I don't remember where.

Chessies CAN do more than waterfowl!!!

14. c100max

c100max 8 pointer

Nov 10, 2003
    fle-burg
    Bud's moved to Lexington about a year ago. I don't know if he has a range there or not?[;)]

If It Flies It Dies...TAKEM'

15. GSP

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Bud does not have one in Lex. I think he re-started one in Paris. There is an indoor range in Lex on Old Frankfort Pike.