Short notice for an important meeting !!!!

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by B.M. Barrelcooker, Jul 31, 2017.

1. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    Trees !!
    I think what is proposed is a wildlife refuge. Waterfowl are just a part of that.
    Sure would be nice if they didn't do feed fields ( row crops ) but just provided an area for the ducks to rest with natural food sources.
    I guess with the description you provided its not that useful right now . Surely it would be better in trees and Native grasses than continued failed crops.

2. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 10 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    If it's continuously losing crops it's seems as if the logical conclusion would be to plant it back in native grasses and such and let er flood. The ducks need resting area as much as they need anything. The trees will provide a lot of food. If it can't be farmed it sounds like an even more viable option

3. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    Hunting is just a byproduct of setting aside a refuge. If hunters are looking for a waterfowl killing Mecca when a refuge is set aside they've missed the point of the overreaching goal of a "refuge."

If you read page 1 under "Purpose and Need for Action" in the following document it is clearly explained.

https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/R...ges/EA_LPP_files/EA_LPP_Final_Green River.pdf

B.M. Barrelcooker likes this.
  4. B.M. Barrelcooker

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    It is my personal opinion that these days too many folks consider refuges like govt provided duck parks. Areas where the govt does all the work to attract and hold the ducks and then the hunters can set up either in govt provided blinds or private set ups that surround the refuge area and pick off some of the fowl that wander off the refuge. It's kind of like fishing in the hatchery creek.
    I'm not trying to insult anyone here . This is just my observation and opinion. It is also my opinion that the Govt does not owe us a place to hunt or even a place for ducks to congregate so we can hunt them.
    The purpose of a refuge should be for conservation of native plants and animals done so in a natural way. Any leveed up feed fields that flood row crops with pumping is not natural. It makes no sense to me that our govt is training ducks to stick on refuges,not migrate,and be more nocturnal.
    Give them areas to rest and areas to breed ....nature should be able to take care of the rest.

Giveem3outdoors and Cape Hillian like this.
  5. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 10 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY

That makes entirely too much sense for the government to figure out.

Giveem3outdoors likes this.
  6. Cape Hillian

Cape Hillian Fawn

Jul 23, 2017
    Hendo
    All very good points and explanations. I was just commenting on my experience in this area proposed for the refuge as far as waterfowl goes seeing this is a waterfowl forum.
    The idea of a federal refuge in this area I think is a great news. Hope it goes through.
    The area does hold a decent size deer herd that would benefit from a refuge as well.
    But its also important to remember that these refuges wouldn't be possible without those that hunt the "duck parks" and "fish in the hatchery creeks". But I do agree give them places to rest and breed let nature do the rest.

7. B.M. Barrelcooker

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    This federal Refuge will be paid for with mitigation money from the Bridges project. That money comes out of the mitigation bank. I'm sure the Feds may lean on the chumps at DU and other outdoorsy social organizations for some of the facilities but more than likely this one will be Mitigation funds. The Duck stamp and trout stamp and license money from the hunters that frequent the refuge area is more than likely pretty paltry compared to what the mitigation bank will kick in. But that would be a good question to explore. Give me some time and I'll see what I can find.

Cape Hillian likes this.