Shotgun Raffle Laws

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by woodhippy, Mar 12, 2019.

1. woodhippy

woodhippy 6 pointer

Nov 11, 2003
    Marion County
    Does anyone know what the current laws are in Ky to be able to raffle of a shotgun , as far as the exchange to the winner ?

2. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    My guess regarding raffling off a shotgun, would be the winner would go to a licensed dealer to claim his/her prize. I guess that particular store would have the shotgun on hold, for the raffle. The winner would go to that particular store and fill out the necessary forms + a background check, before it could be claimed.

3. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    My guess is you'll struggle to find any "laws" …. to give or sell a used long gun (shotgun in this case) to another individual, no paperwork is required if you are not a licensed dealer. Not sure how a raffle changes that. Good luck !

4. woodhippy

woodhippy 6 pointer

Nov 11, 2003
    Marion County
    Exactly no laws can be on used or new long guns plenty on handguns and rifles , I was just wondering if anyone has done one of these before ?

5. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
  6. What you say may be technically true but you are skating on thin ice legally. If the firearm was purchased new for the raffle and is to be transferred to the winner you could be found guilty of a "Strawman Purchase" which is the same as having your neighbor buy a new gun for you and give or sell it to you immediately. Anytime the new gun purchase for the intent to transfer to another owner, it is a strawman purchase and I believe it does not matter how long you may or may not have possessed the weapon. If you buy it for your use and use it to duck hunt for 6 months and then decide to sell it, it is currently legal to sell in KY to another owner who is legally allowed to own and possess weapons. Convicted felons, foreigners and some others may not legally possess.

The last time I won a legitimate raffle, I was required to show up at the dealer with the raffle organizer and was identified as the winner and had to fill out the ATF forms and undergo background check before taking possession of the gun. If you do it any other way you are breaking the law. It is hard to police and your chances of getting caught are slim but you operate at your own risk.

I didn't say and woodhippy like this.
  7. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 6 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    Our club raffles a gun off each year. We purchase from a FFL dealer and the winner has to go to that store to transfer it to their name.

8. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
  9. The KY state gaming laws do not supercede Federal firearms statutes. Velvet Ears has it right.

woodhippy likes this.
  10. woodhippy

woodhippy 6 pointer

Nov 11, 2003
    Marion County
  11. woodhippy

woodhippy 6 pointer

Nov 11, 2003
    Marion County

I was thinking that was the proper way to do it , but really couldn't find any info.

12. I didn't say

I didn't say Fawn

May 28, 2017
    Over here.
    Go to any firearm store have winner fill out a 4473 (background check) form. Comes back good hand them the shotgun. Done deal. And your in the clear of not giving a felon a firearm. As stated above transfer to their name that does exist. It’s a background check. When called in they don’t ask for make, model, serial number. Only ask long gun or hand gun.

woodhippy likes this.
  13. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    If someone has a gaming license then you would be ok .
    Still you would have to run it through a gun dealer.

14. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Your looking at 20 or so dollars to use an FFL to ensure not a felon and opens you up to legally include OOS participants.

woodhippy likes this.