Sick Lab.....Any Ideas????

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Bowcrazy, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Bowcrazy

Bowcrazy Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Nancy, KY.
    I have a 7 month old Lab Pup who has problems. I owned his mother who was lost about 2 months ago, so he is my last of the line.

He has developed serious problems and can hardly get around. After laying down for a while he can hardly get up, being so stiff in the rear and back. He also seems to hurt in his front feet after walking a bit and shakes his head occasionally like there is a problem there also.

My vet is stumped. We took x-rays that didn't reveal any problems in the back and rear bone structure. He doesn't think it is hip dysplasia, which is common to the breed, due to the dogs young age and the x-rays. The x-rays should have also shown any problems that might be a result of his having been hit by a car. Cranial cruciate ligament rupture seems to be out due to his having problems all over.

The Doc prescribed Rimadyl but it doesn't seem to have helped. I have owned and raised several dogs over the years but have never seen anything like this.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Highbow

Highbow Cyber-Hunter

Dec 16, 2001
    Staffordsville, Ky.
    Dale, have you ruled out brain tumor? I have also known of one dog which had reduced blood flow on side of the heart that started showing signs similar to this, we lost him at 18 months. Sorry to here of the problems, hope you can find out something, try the Vet DEpt at Vandy I know my vet has used them before.

3. duckdawg

duckdawg 6 pointer

Jan 9, 2002
    Call Cray Stephenson and Michelle Stephenson DVM of Creighton Kennels Hunting Retrievers at 270-828-6244 or email him at labrador@bbtel.com
    they are very knowledgable and willing to help.
    Derek

4. CPA Hunter

CPA Hunter 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Yes, I agree get a second opinion. No one person can know it all.

5. Yellardawg

Yellardawg 6 pointer

This seems to effect the dog all over, correct?

Has the vet mentioned Panosteitis (Pano)? This is typically referred to as growing pains.

Also, have you ever found any ticks on the pup? If you have seen ticks then I'd do a titer for tick born diseases such as Lyme and Rocky mountain spotted fever.

Has your vet ruled out inner ear infection? for the head shaking.

I also often tell people that if you trust strangers on the internet to help diagnose your dog and trust them over your Vet, then you need to get a new Vet which you can trust.

Good Luck
    Cray

'You can eat a whole pig, but you can't eat a pig whole!'

6. Redneck

Redneck 6 pointer

Jul 31, 2002
    Barren County, KY
    My lab tore her ACL a year ago, and has not been the same since. She limps alot on her back legs and her right front leg is sorta swelled. We payed a lot of money to get the ACL fixed but she still limps. I also believe that the head thing coul be the inner ear because a lot of dogs get that...nothing some drops couldnt fix....good luck

Chase Powell

7. ez

ez 8 pointer

make sure it's not that tick ( vermin ) carried disease.....this disease will cause all types of joint problems ect.......ez

8. Bowcrazy

Bowcrazy Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Nancy, KY.
    Thanks for all the responses. It just helps to kick ideas around some. Sometimes ( often times actually ) I put more faith in fellow hunters opinions than I do the so called experts. Highbow, a brain tumor as you suggest is something I wonder about also. Yellardog, I didn't know the technical name of Pano, but I assume you are talking about a dog growing too fast for it's skelatal (sp) framework to keep up. I have a friend who breeds Lab's who mentioned this as a possibility. That is a very good possibility as this fellow is growing like crazy. In fact there may be more than one problem occuring at once. He has been on Frontline for fleas and ticks ($72 a pop) and I don't see any him so I don't think that is a problem, nor is ear mites. He's seems to be some better and we'll just monitor him a little longer I guess and keep him on the Rimadayl. Thanks again for all the comments.