Sika deer Killed November 2017

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Ktstroud3, Nov 21, 2017.

1. bah1286

bah1286 6 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    Seems we hear about a couple from this small population killed each year. I do know some people that see them from time to time in Jefferson Co. Would be a rare trophy for sure. They don't seem to be hurting anything at all. Maybe fish and wildlife should allow the population to grow. Seems like it has worked well in Maryland. Would be a unique hunting opportunity.

2. JGD

JGD Spike

Feb 3, 2008
    Rookie, thanks after all these years, validating what I thought I have seen. You see, I used to travel Gene Snyder daily and just past Billtown road heading North I would see these deer out feeding and the first time or two I thought there was something odd about them. One time I slowed way down and looked closely at them to confirm that they certainly were not whitetails. Looked like Muledeer from behind with there black tails.
    I told my brother and he actually saw them one day as well.
    Sounds like the mystery is solved.

John

3. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I've seen a few on my property, that I believe they are Sika Deer, but not really sure. A few years ago, during our 2-day M/L season I had a Dark Brown Doe come near my ladder stand and was in thick brush. I shot at it but missed due to the brush. I haven't seen any male Deer of this color yet here, only a few Doe.

4. elkaholic

elkaholic 10 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    That's cool, nice trophy.

5. Todd H

Todd H 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2011
    Louisville and Edmonton
    Awesome!! I live near the area and know for a fact there is a population. I read a few years back about why...think it was from one person who brought them in on his property...maybe in the 80's??

6. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
  7. RackedUP

RackedUP 8 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    I've read the same thing and have saw them a few times traveling on the Gene Snyder.

8. GregDeer77

GregDeer77 6 pointer

Oct 22, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Awesome to see a Sitka harvested in Ky. Congrats and enjoy!

9. Scoony

Scoony 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2003
    Radcliff
    Cool! I am heading up to Maryland in December and will be hunting them on the Eastern Shore. Brother hunts them every year, but this will be my first time. Cool that they are here in KY.

BTW There seems to be a few different types of Sika deer with different spellings. The smaller dark brown ones like this one and in MD are a Japanese elk.

10. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Very cool.

11. childersb24

childersb24 6 pointer

Mar 25, 2010
    That’s crazy. Hard to believe out of all the cameras and hunters out and about each year, I personally have never heard of these critters being around here. Pretty cool and congrats.

12. zone1

zone1 6 pointer

Jan 3, 2011
    Curious how you knew you would not have to use your buck tag? Congrats

13. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Yep. Real tasty. Like minature elk. Their bugle is more like a whistle. High pitched. Mostly nocturnal. Hunt them in swamps daylight and dusk.early season hunts are tough, mosquitoes the size of sparrows. :)
    never seen one like posted here. All brown with thicker hair on neck.

14. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I also listened to the same podcast. The experts were saying that Sitka deer are considerably more difficult to hunt than white tail.

I aslso was curious as to why Rinella didn't bring up the population here in Kentucky throughout the discussion. I would have thought he knew of them being here. Hell if I knew from reading this forum...I'd think the meager eater himself would

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  15. aaronc

aaronc 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Great story and I wasn't aware either....and I feel like I'm usually kinda up on these things. Thanks for posting pic..I did know what they were but just didn't know they were here. Best -Aaron