Sika deer Killed November 2017

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Ktstroud3, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Outdoor_np

Outdoor_np 6 pointer

Nov 24, 2016
    South Central Kentucky
    Congrats, cool trophy! I’ve heard reports of them being in KY but never saw one myself.

2. yelper

yelper 8 pointer

Nov 17, 2003
    That is too cool, congrats. I was in Ohio 10 years ago and pulled up a a guys place and a flippin' herd of axis does streamed across the gravel road in front of us. My buddy called the land owner and sure enough a game farm up the road had a bunch get out. You just never know what may show up.

3. supergoat80

supergoat80 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2012
    It's been a lot of years since I've seen them off the Snyder and was wandering about them the other day. Guess I have my answer. Congratulations to you that's a unique trophy.

4. Drahts

Drahts 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Guys I hunted on the shore with used to drive em in late season mid day. Wet mess as a lot of that marsh is way deeper than you think. A 3x3 is a very big sika, I've seen a few 4x4's but not many. If your rifle hunting take good binos cause they are tough to pic out early morn and late eve. Unless your hunting a feeder.

5. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    I’ve been fortunate to be able to hunt a farm in Billtown Rd/ Seatonville Rd/Floyd’s Fork area for the past 9 seasons but have yet to see or get a pic of one of the Sitkas. Someone told me a few years ago there were some in that part of the county and I didn’t think they were serious. Guess they were!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  6. therookie

therookie 8 pointer

Aug 24, 2012
    They are a non-native species to the state so there is no hunting season or tag for them. Open season year round as long as you have your hunting license. No different than if you see a mountain lion in the woods.

richardc2850 and Tman6493 like this.
  7. Regulator623

Regulator623 10 pointer

Nov 16, 2006
    Eastern Kentucky
    At first glance, I have to admit that I thought it was a calf also. Reminded me of a story a guy that I used to work with told me about taking his cousin deer hunting for the first time up in Northern Kentucky a few years back...at lunch time when they all met back up at the check-in station to see what was brought in, there was his cousin wearing a big smile...he had some farmer's billy goat in the back of his truck with his deer tag attached to it...killed it at 150 yards with a perfect shot behind the front shoulder. I bet people are still talking about that one up there...lol

BubEastKY likes this.
  8. Mudbone

Mudbone 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2005
    Bullitt County, Ky
    I've traveled the Snyder for the last 22 years and i've seen the Sika deer on 2 occasions. The first time i saw them, there was one male and 5 females. He sported a handsome rack. The second time, there were 8 females. I've also seen a white deer on that same particular farm. Not sure if it was a true albino, but white nonetheless. I have a few friends that work for a construction company that did work on this piece of ground as well and seen sika deer there on multiple occasions. I was also told by local residents that years ago, someone in that area had a collection of exotics and most likely some were released or had escaped.

9. jayder85

jayder85 10 pointer

Nice! I have seen the Sika Deer up there before. I saw them from the Gene Snyder while driving through. Just south of the Snyder near the Billtown exit. I hunt my in-laws place down on Routt Rd. It would be a haul, but I would shoot one in a heartbeat if they ever made it this far.

10. Ktstroud3

Ktstroud3 Fawn

Sep 30, 2015
    In the early 1970’s Judge Evens put up a high fence around his farm on seatonville rd. Not sure what all exotics he had? But Sika deer was one. They have been around for a long time. The farm I shot it on I’ve been hunting for 8 years have many cameras and that was the first time I’ve ever seen one here. Years ago I hunted on Broadrun rd. And we had many sightings back then (prior to the internet) and didn’t know if it was legal to harvest. Accourding to the crop lease farmer there are more running around.

11. At Full Draw

At Full Draw Fawn

Sep 13, 2016
    I just passed the Farm off of the Gene Snyder and there was a couple of those deer eating at one of the feeders. They were dark brown with white rumps. I travel through there quite often and that's the first time I've seen them. Pretty cool looking deer.

12. richardc2850

richardc2850 6 pointer

Aug 29, 2011
    redneck, ky
    This is correct. Been know for several years! Congrats

13. richardc2850

richardc2850 6 pointer

Aug 29, 2011
    redneck, ky
    It's a nonnative and considered exotic

14. WILD

WILD 12 pointer

Sep 7, 2009
    hick town,ky
    I have heard guys talk about them a few years back on here also.also in the same area as you guys are speaking about too.

15. Mob169"

Mob169" 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2010
    I hunt the same area. Congrats. Its definitely a Sika deer. I had one crossed the road in front of me on seatonville. They bound like a mule deer