Sika deer Killed November 2017

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Ktstroud3, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    Congrats on bagging the best form of venison of all the deer species. I would pass up a B&C whitetail for a sika spiker.

I have hunted successfully several times in Scotland, and will be heading up to MD to give them a go in Jan of this year. If you really want to focus on them, a sika whistle call in mid to late Oct will work wonders. They are very aggressive during their rut.

There are several subspecies, but outside of TX they are almost all the Southern Japanese sub species. Out in TX they have some of the manchurian subspecies and these are much larger antlered.

Oh, and not trying to be a grammar nazi or anything - but these are SIKA (pronounced SEE KA, unless you are in MD then they say SICK AH). The SITKA are a type of blacktail found in Alaska, and are a completely different genus and species.

2. Ginsenghunter

Ginsenghunter 10 pointer

Jul 5, 2010
    On the line
    I'm not sure what constitutes a small population but Floyd's Fork ain't hurting I can promise you.
    Yes they hop like mule deer,
    They sound like cats fighting when they bugle. It is very odd.
    They eat more corn than whitetail too!!
    What we have found is they love the thickest areas and don't stray too far from that.
    I bet I have watched a record stag walk by before. That dude is a monster. The landowner loves them and he won't let us take one.
    That's cool. You have to abide by the rules!

Attached Files:

3. jim rifanburg

jim rifanburg 6 pointer

Jul 27, 2016
    A friend of a friend killed one this morning in Maryland he gonna send me pic and I'll put it up here when I get it said it was a big one

4. Ginsenghunter

Ginsenghunter 10 pointer

Jul 5, 2010
    On the line
    I have pics of and watched one many times that is at least 2x that size.

5. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
  6. turkeymanmike

turkeymanmike Fawn

Oct 27, 2017
    vine grove
    I've heard a Dr who owned land out that way bought them and let them go to populate years back. I've seen them past billtown rd on the right side of the synder a few times. Congrats.

7. chiphunt

chiphunt Fawn

Nov 14, 2016
    They hang around the Parklands of Floyd's Fork off Bardstown Rd, so you can spot one there often. We have a good amount of land all along Floyd's Fork not too far downstream from the Parklands but I've never seen one outside of the Parklands.

8. Chuck Juengling

Chuck Juengling Fawn

Feb 16, 2003
    Louisville, KY, USA.
    There are sika deer in this area. They escaped captivity several decades ago and now populate a piece of property that belongs to a friend. They are there. I have seen them. Not sure why they have not spread out to include a much larger area than what they currently occupy. I live 3-4 miles from the property, and I have not seen them here. Property along Floyd's Fork near Seatonville Road is the main area for seeing them.

9. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    Bullitt Co 12/1/17.

Attached Files:

slickhead slayer likes this.
  10. forager

forager 6 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    12-1-17 and today is 11-29-17?! Someone has a time machine! LOL

Dark Cloud likes this.
  11. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    he would have been a dandy if given the chance to grow up.

Wampuscat likes this.
  12. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    Kentucky mooses in the future bub

13. forager

forager 6 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    They will do a number on those escarpment bucks!

14. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    Any one have a lead on the Kentucky Dall sheep? Looking to get on a lease. Have mountain climbing gear and Insurance. References upon request.

forager likes this.