Sika deer Killed November 2017

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Ktstroud3, Nov 21, 2017.

1. slicked-it

slicked-it 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2008
    Been a while since this was originally posted but I wanted to share....headed to church on the evening of January 13 and saw several of these same deer down in the bottoms below the Gene Snyder. Wife was driving so I typically stare off into the woods....sure enough, there they were. I counted 6 I believe but there could have been a couple more. It all happened pretty fast. I also saw that one had a set of antlers about the size of the one the original poster shared. I'd seen em before, but it was years ago. Thought it was funny to see them not long after reading this thread.

2. RDL270

RDL270 Cyber-Hunter

Apr 14, 2003
    Fern Creek KY
    I saw a doe along side the Snyder after getting on from Billtown yesterday in basically the same place I believer your talking about. Have seen them along Floyds Fork several times as well.

3. bah1286

bah1286 6 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    I would imagine there are more out there than people would think. Surely they don't all stay in one small place. To see 6-8 together regularly along the road obviously means they are breeding. And if there are that many together to be seen along the road at one time, how many others are running around.

slicked-it likes this.
  4. slicked-it

slicked-it 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2008
    I think these animals "roar" similar to a red stag maybe?? Be pretty unsettling to be in the woods and hear one of em let loose not knowing what it was!! I'd probably have to change my britches!!:eek:

5. Drahts

Drahts 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I've hunted them on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and they whistle/bugle. Tough to hunt fair chase over there, most clubs bait the dickens outta them as they like that first and last 1/2 hr of daylight, and they love the marsh.

6. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    No, as Drahts said, they whistle/bugle. You can mimic there call with an elk call. But, yes the sound can be very intimidating the first time you hear it. The roar you speak of is made by Red Stags - not so much a roar as a long extended belch. I've hunted both successfully in Scotland during the rut.

That being said, in areas where sika co-habitate with other species, they are usually the dominant species and will push out or oppress other deer if resources get scarce. They will also breed with related species (red deer, elk, ... But not our N. American deer) creating fertile hybrids.

7. slicked-it

slicked-it 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2008
    That's interesting. Neat critter to see every now and again, but I wouldn't want em bullying my whitetails!

8. wv67

wv67 6 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    I have a guy from Maryland coming into bear hunt my place and in exchange I’m going to Maryland to hunt his place for Sitka they are tricky and tough to hunt they say

9. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I got to see one when I was a teen. My buddy killed it in Franklin County. He put a picture of it in the paper.

10. Blackdog85

Blackdog85 Spike

Oct 28, 2014
    Saw the sitkas off the snider this afternoon. Counted 17 of them together. I could see 3 bucks that were 3x3 and a couple smaller bucks. Pretty cool critters.

slicked-it likes this.
  11. GroundPound

GroundPound Spike

Dec 21, 2010
    Swamp Gulch
    Nuisance species that should all be killed on sight. They terrorize whitetails and apparently really bother turkeys also.

12. Meatstick

Meatstick 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    The boys that hunt that piece of ground do better than average on both whitetails and turkeys. They've decided NOT to kill all the sikas on site. They're kinda cool and they like seeing them. How do you assume they terrorize deer and turkeys? Have you been around sikas? Did they ruin YOUR farm?

13. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    NOT TRUE. NOT TRUE AT ALL. Other states have them. They mingle right along with Whitetail Deer. Not talking about Pen raised either. WILD DEER.