Sis just spent all evening cleaning up after bear

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by KYBOY, Dec 12, 2018.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Big black bear destroyed my sisters garbage bin last night. She saw it. She lives about 10 minutes from me and very ready to let me know when it comes back:D just hope it’s during rifle season

2. Regulator623

Regulator623 10 pointer

Nov 16, 2006
    Eastern Kentucky
    I made mentioned in another post of a bear a buddy of mine got on video in your neck of the woods while he was on stand..it was a pretty good one. It had already cleaned out his corn pile, then came back while he was up in a tree and wiped out the game camera that he had set up over the corn...

3. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    Might be considered baited if he is getting your sisters garbage. You know how the KDF&W loves their bears. Hope you get him.

deerhunter24 likes this.
  4. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Kill him and Eat'em
    You don't say anything about it on FBook and it didn't happen.

invasion36, Nock, elkaholic and 3 others like this.
  5. supergoat80

supergoat80 10 pointer

Aug 31, 2012
    Man I feel for you guys in the east.

barney likes this.
  6. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    Gonna be big money for the outfitters. I read where they are getting 7500.00 for bears near the coast of North Carolina cause they are 600 lbs and up. People willing to pay big money for big bears evidently. We tried to eat one once. Nasty is all I can say about it.

barney likes this.
  7. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Ive been on a few Coastal NC bear hunts, no where near that price. Fun behind the dogs.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    Arrow Slinger likes this.
  8. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I had actually thought of that. If I hunt there I’ll make sure the bin is epty. Though I’d be a little ways from the house too

elkaholic likes this.
  9. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY

It is 100% illegal to hunt anywhere near there. Bait, in your case garbage, has to be removed 30 days prior to hunting.

10. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I’ve heard they can write a ticket for feeding ,when a bear gets in your garbage.Suppose to have bear proof containers,I reckon ,them ole bears sure are important to somebody.If you kill one ,you sure better wash his stomach out,or they got ye.

barney likes this.
  11. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY

That is a FACT!!!!
    I was told straight to my face that I could be written a violation from KDFW for bear getting into my garbage.

Or my feeder.

Or my gas grill.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  12. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    Or your freezer.

invasion36 likes this.
  13. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Usually, I side with the guys in the uniforms.....

But, in this instance, I'd tell them to go ahead and start writing. The existing statute sounds overly broad and appears that it could use some judicial review that ends in case law.

If a person is dumping trash in a deliberate attempt to attract bears, that's one thing. But, if a homeowner is setting out garbage for pickup, that's quite different. One should not be penalized for the behavior of an animal.

Like I said, bring on the citation - let's see what the judge says.

14. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Well I’m not hunting on the property with the garbage actually it would be the adjoining tract. The whole deal with best sometimes puzzles me. Every piece of private property in the state has a garbage can on it somewhere. Obviously I’m not going to hunting off the porch..
    Heck this wasn’t even cans it was a enclosed bin with a lid..
    I’m also prone to side with the dept on many things. Some like certain bear regs are foolish at best.

mac0492 and elkaholic like this.
  15. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Rinella says bears that have access to marine life taste far worse than those that don't. 7500 seems pretty steep.