Sis out in her Kayak today

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Duster, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Ran across these critters on lake Malone. I told her will not be long until there are no fish left in the lake. Good picture tho of mom and her little ones. She said when she first seen them they ran into the woods, but she got to a downed tree and tied off to it and waited about 30 minutes and they came back to 20 foot away.

otters lake Malone.jpg

2. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I’ve never seen them there but I’ve seen sign though.

3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

They do migrate. Sometimes several miles, First ones in the wild I ever seen was on a National Refuge in southern Indiana. They got my attention while I was deer hunting there. They had a checkout system that ask what wildlife you seen where you filled out a card at the end of each day hunting. I put down I had seen two River Otter's. Got a phone call a couple weeks later from a biologist from there asking me if I could pin point on a map where I had seen them. He said I am looking at a map of the refuge and can you direct me to that spot. I did exactly that, once we got to talking he knew the exact small pond were I had seen them. They had released a pair about 5 miles south three years before in a river that was the south edge of that refuge that were tagged and wanted to go try and spot the ones I seen to see if it was that pair or not. I didn't see any tags on either while watching them. Never heard back if they were them or not.

4. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Pretty neat. They are the best fishermen on the lake!

5. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Maybe they need to stock a few thousand of them in Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake to control the Asian carp.

xbokilla likes this.
  6. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    Nothing to worry about them eating all the fish.

When we lived in MS we had a resident family that frequented the pond behind the house. The vast, and I mean VAST, majority of their catch was shad. Next favorite was bullheads. In 3 years I saw exactly 1 bass head left.

In our pond in KY they would breeze through every few weeks and mostly hit the channel cats. Occasionally they would take a small bass.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  7. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    D2696596-2BA7-4915-9061-31BC0F7A742A.jpeg
    They like mussels as well. That’s a dock on the same lake. If you zoom in you can see the split shells on top of the blue float.

Marsh CallUser likes this.
  8. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I saw a pie balled one duck hunting one time. Have seen them on the Mississippi, Hatchie , Reelfoot and Barkley. They are very entertaining to watch. I found a big male road kill after the season a few years ago, a friend wanted to have gloves made from it.

9. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I picked up a farm that has some in a creek running through it. I plan on pinching one or two this winter.

10. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Didn’t know they hunted ducks.

xbokilla and JR PORTER like this.
  11. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    While hunting ducks at BGAD we watched a family group that was quick on crippled ducks. They don't pass up easy meals

12. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Yeah they eat more than just fish.