Smallest crappie you keep?

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by KYBOY, Apr 13, 2018.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    first off I'm not one to tell another fisherman what to do with their fish but I have to ask? What is the smallest crappie you keep to eat? I see a lot of guys keeping 5"-6" crappie by the bucket loads. Is it just me or do you think that size fish isn't worth cleaning?

2. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
  3. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Just my situation, I’m single so I’m only feeding me and I don’t like frozen crappie. I’ll only keep 3-4 that are 12-14” fish, that along with some hushpuppies and fries will be enough for a couple meals. After that it’s all catch and release

KYBOY likes this.
  4. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Don’t most places have limits bigger that 5-6 inches? I guess they might remove those limits if they’re overpopulated. If that’s the case I might keep a few to help the cause.

KYBOY likes this.
  5. bigbonner

bigbonner 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I knew a old man and woman who would fish and keep bluegill as long as your finger . That old man was a millionaire.

KYBOY likes this.
  6. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Nine inch is the very smallest but throw them back most times. 10 is more the norm. I throw everything out in a few farm lakes because it’s overstock with stunted fish. Of course some lakes have size limits.

KYBOY likes this.
  7. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    It's not a "I don't think they should thing" I honestly don't mind. Their fish. To me it's more of not being worth it. Just how big is the fillet from a 4"-5" crappie? Now I can see keeping some to get rid of overstock..though this old boy dosnt really know what a big crappie is I think. He showed me a "monster" that was about 7 1/2"-8" long. I didn't have the heart to say anything but " yea boy, that's a biggun' "

8. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

It does depend on where you have been fishing all your life. Years ago I brought a cousins husband down from NW Indiana in the spring fishing. We were bass fishing mainly but did get into some crappie one day. He caught one about 9 inches long and put it on his stringer. Couldn't wait to show it to my dad when we got back. Look at this monster crappie I caught chest puffed out proud as could be. My old man took one look at that 9 inch fish and never to be one to hold back he said Ben and Me have thrown that size back all our lives. You could see the hurt in his eyes. I figured that crappie was on it's way to the taxidermist same as the 5 lb largemouth he caught the day before. In all my years up north I can't recall but a couple times catching a crappie over 10 inches.
    Myself I would say 11 to 12 inches in Kentucky is all I would mess with cleaning, Bluegill in the 7 to 8 inch range depending on how thick their body is, Largemouth get thrown back no matter what size because we don't eat bass, just don't care for the taste.

KYBOY likes this.
  9. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

They didn't fish the spillway below lake Malone dam did they ? Reason I ask was we had a guy and his wife who were regulars there that did the same thing. They kept them all, said if they are big enough to bite they will make a bite. He would set out a 5 gallon bucket full of water for the other fishermen to throw any small ones in it. He didn't go home empty handed I ever saw.

bondhu and KYBOY like this.
  10. Rat

Rat 8 pointer

Oct 9, 2006
    USA
    Unless you are frying the whole thing and eating the whole thing, anything under 9.5 is a very small filet. I've kept 9 inchers before but it was only because I would have gone home empty handed without doing so. When they are biting it is 10 and above.

11. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    When I was growing up didnt no what a fillet was. This time of year up till winter freeze we ate fish at least 2-3 times a week maybe more. If you have a pond over stocked with small crappie. Scale them, gut them, remove the head. Fry them up. When ready to eat wiggle top fin straight out bones will follow, bottom rear fin wiggle straight out bones will follow. Now stand fish up on its belly and with a fork gentle insert along where fin was. Fish should separate in 2 pieces. One side boneless and the other side grab tale and gentle lift up and the spine and bones will come out in one piece. Now you have 2 boneless pieces read to slap between 2 pieces of butternut bread (before the buy out). If you dont like the skin it can be removed before the bread

12. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Yea, that's a good point. I catfish a lot, its my favorite. I remember fishing in Michigan and talking to folks in bait stores. They ask me things like "Got some big cats down there don't ya'? like 25 pounders?" LOL, You should see their eyes when Id tell them I fished with 1 pound suckers for bait on my flathead rigs..

Nock likes this.
  13. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Yall know me always a story to tell.

I have a sister in law from Taiwan. Brother married her while stationed there in the USAF. When she first came to Kentucky my brother and myself went fishing. Caught a mess of crappie and bluegill. When we got home she was waiting at the door, not being good in English she says.....Me Clean...I thought alright we got us a fish cleaner right here and handed her the stringers. She goes out to the barn and is gone a long time so we went to check on her. There she was washing the fish, yes I said WASHING the fish. I told her we don't clean fish that way let me show you how we do it here. Picked out a decent size bluegill and put the knife to it making a nice fillet. She just looked at me and said...You throw away best part.....Heads and Eye's. So it does depend on where you are from as to how small a fish and even what parts works for you. She was all excited when we fried them up and she found no bones. When they visit last summer Brother told me never to take her (Yu-Ping) to a all you can eat crawfish place. For a 100 lb max gal he said she can eat 10 pounds of crawfish at one sitting...LOL.

bondhu likes this.
  14. bigbonner

bigbonner 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    You had better keep a watch on your dog:rolleyes:

( I am joking ;))

Dark Cloud likes this.
  15. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

No Joke..My dad had several rabbit dogs at that time. Ping was petting one of them and said...Nice and Fat. Dad let her know we didn't eat dogs over here. I don't think she grew up eating dogs tho. Her mother was a Princess over there and from a well off family. When they came in to visit last summer it was a blast, I had not seen her in near 20 years and she had learned American ways but still funny as heck on things by hearing the story's told, she did stuff we would never think of. Her and my wife get along like two peas in a pod.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018