soft plastic swim baits

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by bgkyarcher, Mar 13, 2017.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I'm going to Florida to fish with a buddy for a couple days weekend after next. He's got a couple private lakes for us to fish, with a lot of large bass. Any of you guys throw big plastic swim baits? If so, how do you rig them? I think they should be awesome down there, but have never fished them. He's never tried them either. He's caught multiple 13's, so I've got my fingers crossed for my first double digit bass.

2. KyHillyBilly

KyHillyBilly 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2013
    I know nothing about that type of bass fishing, but a few things I can think of is drop shotting, weighted swim bait hook, and maybe a wacky rig, texas style.

3. bondhu

bondhu 6 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    If quality over quantity is what your after. Drag a 10" dark worm around Carolina rigged. Ha ha come to think of it throw what your buddy throws couple 13 pounders

4. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 6 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I've thrown them up to 5 inch. Anything that large is either rigged with a lead head through the body and out the top or comes pre rigged with a big treble on the bottom. Tie on and throw that dude. Reel it just fast enough to make the paddle tail work!!!

5. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    I'm guessing they are either feeding on large shad or bluegill?

6. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Or shiners....

7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Catch some small bluegill, cut the top fin so it swims a little addled, put enough weight to hold it down a few feet, use large floater or small plastic bottle the gill wont sink then sit and wait. If this isn't legal buy shiners.

8. yelper

yelper 8 pointer

Nov 17, 2003
    Weighted keeper hook and big swimbaits! ;)

9. Jwheatley

Jwheatley Fawn

Dec 29, 2015
    I buy the storm swimbaits with the hook rigged in it already. I throw the 3 inch shad color mostly. Occasionally I use the 4 inch bluegill or crappie color which comes with the treble hook on the bottom. Ive caught numerous 3+ ponders on that rig. I would also try a chatterbait.

10. JeepComanche

JeepComanche 6 pointer

Feb 8, 2007
    Hopkins Co.
    Lake Fork Magic Shad on a Chatterbait, something different we've been using and the only swimbait I've used.

11. KyHillyBilly

KyHillyBilly 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2013
    I used to like those, but then I noticed they don't run true, or at least batch I had didn't. Do you fine tune them?

12. Jwheatley

Jwheatley Fawn

Dec 29, 2015
    The shad ones I use that are 3inch seem to run pretty true for me at least. The smaller ones are seemingly always of and veer to on side. I have thrown the bigger shad ones. The bluegill/crappie colored ones it depends on the batch. Sometimes they run pretty well and others I have to do little fine tuning to the bottom treble hook.

13. Strut 'N' Buck

Strut 'N' Buck 8 pointer

Apr 16, 2011
    Shepherdsville, KY
    Revenge swim bait heads. I get 3/8oz and that comes with a durable and really sharp 3/0 hook. Also has 2 keepers on the hook to keep your swim bait on. And the head has a really nice painted finish and last forever. I top it off with a keitec swim bait. I prefer the 3.8in or 4.5in (?) I think is the size. In red/blue pearl or the shad color. Forget the name. I've had a lot of success with these but I'm sure there are other good options on the market as well. Good luck and hope this helps

14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Be able to fish that weight at a slow speed in 5-6' of water?

15. Strut 'N' Buck

Strut 'N' Buck 8 pointer

Apr 16, 2011
    Shepherdsville, KY
    Absolutely. I fish that setup up to about 15'. Any deeper I go a little heavier head. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Those swim baits have amazing action that the fish can't resist.