something different........iguana hunting.

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by 1wildcatfan, Dec 31, 2018.

1. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    This is some pretty cool stuff, wish I could pop a few.
    But I would like to use one of my .204s. (Use enough gun)

2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Awow,
    That is different

3. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    only pellet rifles allowed. not sure any firearms are allowed on PR.

4. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    That looks like a blast. Buddy has been telling me about a monkey hunt they do with suppressed .22lr. It's one of them Island countries and I don't want to get it wrong, but I'd be all about either. I've ate both Monkey is by far better then iguana, but I wouldn't turn either down if someone was gonna give me some.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  5. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    whats a PCP and springer? only thing i know about pellet rifles is i had a crossman, beaman and now gamo.

6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    the boss lady got in last night. she said that the largest iguana these guys have killed this winter was 7 1/2' long and weighed 37 lbs. my crew didn't see any close to that size. Booner in the lizard world.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  7. aaronc

aaronc 8 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Pcp"s are precharged.compressed air. They have to be refilled with air after 10 or 20 shots or whatever...I dont have any of those.
    Springer's are old school....its spring piston/seals that propel the pellet. Could cock by barrel/ lever under the barrel/or sidelever....no air tank needed.

HW Weirauch...RWS Diana....Walther are some manufacturers of german springers. Tons of fun...very accurate and deadly on small game within their range.

A forum called gateway to airguns is the place for more detailed info on the subject.

Best -aaron

Southpaw and 1wildcatfan like this.
  8. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    Very cool. I was stationed there several times and we always wanted to hunt them. We called them Puerto Rican Possums - they were everywhere and always dead on the roads. They would surely be fun to hunt and my hat is off to the enterprising guy that figured out how to market this hunt.

Managed to kill one with a stick (and several with the car) and tried eating it. Put it on the grill, and would say it tasted like frog legs, or maybe snake.

As far as guns in PR. Very very hard to get a permit, and any gun(except and air rifle) requires a permit. That is, unless you are a criminal - in which case guns are everywhere and shootings happen often. The police around San Juan have a "no blood, no foul" rule for shootings.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  9. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    i believe there are a few companies doing this now. The person my wife went through is from Arizona. it was $200/person. wife tipped their guide $100 and bought him lunch. said he cried like a baby, 57 yrs old, makes $60/day delivering ice. worked there 31 yrs and feels lucky to have a job.

10. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    My neighbor travels to Florida a lot and he hunts them with air rifles. Cleans them and eats them. Brought a bunch back and grilled them up for a bunch of us. Best I can compare it to is Fish crossed with chicken. Pretty good the way he did it.

11. Wildcat you gotta be proud of that bunch. Looks like great fun. I have seen the size of them things down in Mexico. Makes me want to travel to Puerto Rico this winter. Please post info on the guide and prices for this sort of hunt. I would have expected it to taste a lot like gator tail.

Irish

12. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Buddy did that in Costa Rica, they ate em. Looks like a fun time with air rifles. Would be a blast!

13. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    here's the contact info of the guy my wife went through. if you happen to go, need to find out if they hunt in the area you will be staying in.
    Contact info:

Jim Walton

huntiguana@gmail.com

480-695-1516

14. Gracias mi Amigo! (figure I need to brush up on my Spanish lingo, lol) How do you say, "Mr. Custom's officer, may I bring my 17WSM rifle thru PR customs on my visit?" I never paid any attention. Do we have these lizards in Florida in the Everglades?

15. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    They're ALL OVER the Everglades