Son's first with a Muzzleloader

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Chilly, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

My oldest son and I pulled the memory card at our feeder after our morning hunt opening day of the youth weekend. After looking at the 4000+ pictures on the card a few days later, I found out that a mature buck had been using / defending the feeder for about a month. Almost every morning and evening in the daylight but a little more frequent in the mornings. I told my son that if we were going hunt this deer that we needed to get in there super early to avoid bumping him or crossing paths on the way in. We got to our uprooted oak tree / natural ground blind at 6:00a.m. Almost instantly after we got settled in, the woods were crawling with animals. It started breaking daylight good enough to see pretty good and I hear a deer walking to our right. I eased my binoculars up and I could tell it was the buck at only 20 yards in some young beech trees. We sat motionless until the buck got past us and headed up the hill towards the feeder which we were about 60 yards from. He stopped about 10 yards to the right of the feeder and started throwing his head in the air scent checking. My son got the muzzle loader rested on top of the log. In a shaky voice, he told me that he did not have a heart shot but he said he had the lungs wide open. In a returned shaky voice, I told him to squeeze the trigger when he was ready. The woods filled with smoke! I asked him if he felt good about the shot and he said he had it right on him. We waited a few minutes and headed up to where the buck was standing. We immediately found foamy blood with pieces of bone in it. We tracked the blood for about 10 yards and it went off the side of the knob. We looked around for a couple more minutes and glanced out in front of us and there was his buck, laying on his back at the bottom of the knob. There are no words to describe how much excitement we had!!! My son had just killed his first deer with a muzzle loader and it was a dandy. He has killed several but this is his biggest... 172lb 9pt.
    L1.jpg L2.jpg l3.jpg l4.jpg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  2. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    Awesome! Congratulations to that young man on an incredible Buck!

3. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    I am pretty sure youth weekend was last weekend, All these youngin's are killin me. :)
    Seriously, Great job young man. Again great picture. All of the deer posted so far this year that buck is at least in my top 5. Again congrats.

4. elkaholic

elkaholic 10 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    Awesome deer, congratulations.

5. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Holy shat what a pig. Triple Congrats on a heck of a buck. 2017 looks to be the year of the youngins. Great job dad

6. Outdoor_np

Outdoor_np Spike

Nov 24, 2016
    South Central Kentucky
    Great story, awesome deer! Congrats to you both

7. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Very nice. That big smile says it all.

8. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 8 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    Congrats on a stud buck for the young man!

9. invasion36

invasion36 6 pointer

Aug 29, 2013
    Kenton Co
    Wow what stud! Congrats and thanks for sharing story.

10. BubEastKY

BubEastKY 6 pointer

Sep 16, 2016
    Congrats to the young man on an awesome deer!

11. scrape

scrape 8 pointer

Jul 24, 2003
    Manchester, ky.
    Congratulations!

12. Smokin9mm

Smokin9mm 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2014
    Lexington
    Golly what a deer! Congrats to the youngun

13. Born to Hunt

Born to Hunt 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2005
    Edmonton, KY
  14. kriggs

kriggs Spike

Jan 23, 2016
    Congratulations to your son, very nice buck. You guys are laying them down this year. Keith's going to be busy. :)

15. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    Wee Doggies,that is a big ole buck for his first deer.
    Big Congrats young man