Soresto flea and tick collars

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by elkaholic, Apr 29, 2019.

1. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    Has or does any of you use theses on your dogs? I was thinking of using them, IF THEY WORK. I can't see spending $60.00 each for 3 of them if they don't.

2. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I use them. I have one golden retriever and he is a house dog. He is outside a fair amount; lake, yard, farm and parks. We don’t have any issue with fleas or ticks on him. I got the collar on the recommendation of a trusted K9 handler I know that deals with a variety of dogs and situations where dogs are exposed to pests. I figure if it’s good enough for him and his investments, it’s good enough for me and my dumb ol dog.

barney and elkaholic like this.
  3. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    By the way. We always purchase ours at Tractor Supply when they go on sale. Use a coupon for quite a savings.

elkaholic likes this.
  4. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    All of our dogs have worn them for several years with great results.

elkaholic likes this.
  5. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
  6. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    I may have to try one......I use K9 Advantix and pulled 7 off my 9 lb yorkie this weekend. That stuff is useless.

7. rabbit dawg

rabbit dawg 6 pointer

Mar 9, 2010
    I use one on my mountain cur. He's in the woods everyday and hasn't got fleas or ticks yet. Works better than the drops for me.

elkaholic likes this.
  8. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Firm believer here as well. Chewy.com has deals & free shipping occasionally if you sign up on their mailing list. It kills em too, not just a repellent.

elkaholic likes this.
  9. aaronc

aaronc 8 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Have used them for about 4 years. They work great...but I di have to rig mine with wire to get it to stay on my Spanish mastiff....no biggee. It's a quality product. No fleas or ticks....and if they have them they wont in about a week.

elkaholic likes this.
  10. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    Thanks for the input, I am going to get them.

11. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 8 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I do not recommend them if your dog gets in water at all, every time they get wet it’s significantly reduces the effectiveness and longevity of the collar, I put one on my black lab and it was a huge waste of money, I’m not saying they don’t work but when the Dog gets wet it pretty much washes all the chemical off then takes several days to reabsorb in the skin

12. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Our vet doesn't recommend them if you have kids who like to cuddle with dogs. He's not comfortable with the idea of kids being exposed to the chemicals in them. We've been using Sentinel for both heartworm protection plus Advantix for fleas & ticks but it's not working very well so we're switching to Heartguard & either Nexgard (1 month) or Bravecto (3 months) after we check all the rebates & figure out which route would be cheaper. (With 4 dogs, cost matters!)

13. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I use K9 Advantix on my hounds and it works. I buy the extra large dog package and then use a syringe to divide based on my dogs’ weight. I can get quite a few months out of a extra large dog 6 month supply.

I like K9 Advantix because it repels mosquitos, too. We have them bad around the house.

14. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 8 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Be ware of knock offs.

15. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

We use them on our cats also over the years and they seem to work great. Just have to make sure you get one made for cats not dogs. The Vet put some expensive (at $25 a pop) drops on Frank one year that was supposed to last 6 months and be the best out there but he was covered in flea's in less than two weeks. Not so with the collar.

elkaholic likes this.