Start kids hunting

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyhunter99, Nov 27, 2018.

1. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    ky
    When did you start your kids hunting?

2. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    5-8 i think. My boy was all boy and started at 5. We are still using that lil 243 youth handi rifle to this day and hes18 now. My daughter i believe was 8. She justwasnt quite ready until then. My youngest daughter is 5 and its looking like a few more years for her as well but we will see how she progresses.

3. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    My boy was tagging along at 6, actually squirrel hunting at around 7-8..
    I’m a huge proponent of starting kids on small game and teaching them the value of woodsmanship early. Good squirrel hunters make good hunters all around

4. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Every kid and parent is different. There are plenty of people, on this website, that will give you their opinion, and preach it to as gospel.

As long as it’s legal, do what you think is best for your kid.

Mine have been tagging along for 5 years now. Next year, they will start hunting during the early youth season. They will be 12 and 15.

5. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    CFC7CB7E-351E-4296-A4E5-BC697C6F09AF.jpeg I found this pic the other night. Im doing a moj poj (spelling) wall in my hunting room and stumbled on the pic. My sons on the left. Him and his buddy took these deer with that little handi rifle. Straight from a ball game to the deer stand. Gotta love the bloody cleats haha

6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    love it. we went from the stand to a basketball game one Saturday morning when my son was 9. he had shot his first buck. mom had to meet us with his shorts, jersey and shoes. he walked in with blood all over his hands and had the whole team at the back of our truck admiring his deer after the game. wonder I didn't get arrested form having a gun on school property. we were in such a rush to make the game time, never thought about the gun and school.

Mainbeam likes this.
  7. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    6 and 7 small game. 9 and 10 Deer.

8. FBICAT

FBICAT Spike

Nov 30, 2009
    Graves County
    My son was 4 when he shot his first deer. Had a single shot 223 I sawed stock down a little to fit him. Practiced a lot and made sure he got a close shot. I have killed big deer but I was more excited over that doe than anything I have ever killed. My other 2 kids were 7-8 I think so it depends a lot on the individual kids.

9. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

Mine were small game hunting at 4 and deer and turkey hunting at 5.

10. aaronc

aaronc 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Yes sir,...and still some of the most fun ever.

KYBOY likes this.
  11. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 6 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    My rule of thumb is whenever they are able to operate the gun by themselves and consistently hit a target at about 50 yards. My son was 9 when he could do this correctly.

12. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    I have a pic of my son out with me, right around age 3. He's been going with me since then.

13. rme hunter

rme hunter 8 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Breckinridge County
    My boys started tagging along at 3, the first two shot their first deer at age 5 and the little one shot his first deer at age 4. A Caldwell field pod is a great way to let them start, we practice from it and pack it to the blind. My twins will be 8 this year and have each killed a limit of deer for the last couple of seasons. They all started with an AR15 in 5.56, hollow point rounds. These have no recoil and the boys love shooting them. They have all three graduated to .243 and 30-30. I am moving them on to the 6.5 after this season.

14. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    My daughter started actually deer hunting at 8.

But the being exposed to hunting was pretty much after she was born to that effect. She was tromping in the woods by my side when she was 3 and blowing a crow call to make turkeys gobble. Which I'll never forget that look when they first answered her back. Took her with me squirrel, rabbit & dove hunting every chance she got.

Bought her a scoped air rifle at 5 or 6 ...she spent hours in the backyard shooting. Then moved on to 22's .....and by 8 had gotten her a 243. That fall she took her hunters safety course and she killed her first buck on the second weekend of gun season that year.

I think the key to any child is exposing them to hunting....and I'm not talking shooting or killing anything. Its just being part of whats going on and them watching you.

Which sometimes I believe we rush them into the killing part way too quick.