Starter kayak

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by rakatak, Aug 12, 2017.

1. rakatak

rakatak 6 pointer

Oct 17, 2005
    London,Ky
    hey guys looking into buying a kayak. Mainly for floating the rockastle river but would probably do a little lake fishing too, laurel and wood creek. You guys got any suggestions on something to start out with. Not wanting to brake the bank. Just wanting to try and see how I like it.

2. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    Look at the width before anything else, wider is better, get a one piece hull, not one that's sandwiched together with two separate pcs.
    I have Future Beach from Dunhams under $200 each and like them as well as any I've been in

3. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    I bought my first one last time off. Just went out to the Walmart and picked out a dark green fishing kayak. It's a 10' sit on kayak, came with a paddle. It's very maneuverable, surpriseingly stable, it's got 6 holes through the hull molded in that adds to the stability, 4-6" of freeboard. The first afternoon I had it, it blew up a squall on the lake had maybe a 1 foot chop so I took it out and turned it broadside to the weather and she just rocked. It's actually hard to flip, I've done it twice, once on purpose just to see how far I had to lean over to get it to flip, the other time I had Coal dog with me.
    My suggestion, either look on the FB buy/sell/trade groups or craigslist, or go to Walmart or Rual King and get one. If you don't like it sell it. Just be sure to wear a life jacket.

4. rakatak

rakatak 6 pointer

Oct 17, 2005
    London,Ky
    sit in or sit on top. which you prefer? I would think sit on top for river fishing

5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Depending on how much you want to spend the Cabelas advanced angler is nice for the money. In $900 range which is actually reasonable in Kayak world. Know a guy who has one and fishes Rockastle River often.

6. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    I like the sit on top. if you flip you dont have to drag the heavy SOB to the bank and drain the water out of it.

Capttrae likes this.
  7. Outdoor_np

Outdoor_np Fawn

Nov 24, 2016
    South central Kentucky
    I prefer sit on top. I have been fishing from a Jackson big tuna for the last 3 yesrs. Wanted a kayak for several years, did a lot of research, went with it. It is very stable and designed for fishing. I fish lake Cumberland, buck creek, and fishing creek from it. Stable enough I can stand and cast if I want. Downside is it's kinda heavy (but still manageable by myself) and wasn't cheap. While I don't suggest you buy the most expensive one out there, I would suggest you get something you'll use and be happy with. Main thing is like jblack1 said..pay attention to width. Wider is usually more stable. Talk to some people, pick one, fish on. Maybe buy used if you can until you know if it's what you want, might save some money.

8. jmo

jmo 6 pointer

Apr 17, 2005
    Nicholasville
    I just got an 11 foot sit on top from Sam's for $300. Made by Lifetime and is extremely stable and tracks well. I'm 6-1 and got a 240 cm paddle and just use the 220 cm paddle that came with it as a backup. The weight capacity is 300 to accommodate my big butt. Pretty good deal, I thought.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  9. Redfeather

Redfeather 8 pointer

Sep 9, 2006
    Rose Hill,Ky
    How big of a guy are you & how much do you want to spend?

Kayak for somebody 150lbs not good for somebody 250lbs...

Definitely sit on top...

10. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    As a general rule, longer boats track straighter. Borrow a model that you are interested in and try it out. A boat that doesn't track straight will wear you out in a hurry from fighting it all day.

I have an 11 foot perception sport fishing model. Wife had a 10.5 perception sport blue and black camo one. Both track well with different bottom designs. The worst tracking boat I have been in was one of those blue and white Pelican brand ones.

11. rabbit dawg

rabbit dawg 6 pointer

Mar 9, 2010
    Sit on top for sure. I don't know how far you are from Frankfort, but Canoe Kentucky has kayaks you can rent and try out. Hook1 in Hendersonville, Tn is where I went. Many state parks have kayaks you can rent also, but I don't know what kind they have. My family all have kayaks and we love them. They are tons of fun but can get expensive.

12. rakatak

rakatak 6 pointer

Oct 17, 2005
    London,Ky
    I'm bout 5'8. Weigh bout 180. Not wanting to spend a lot to start out. Just wanting to see if I like it. Seen one on Wally World.com. It's a lifetime tamarack 120 I believe. They are 215.00. Thought I would buy me and my 14 year old son one and hit the rockcastle river. Been dyin to float it and fish.

13. I'm jealous man. I'd love to get in on some of the smallie and Kentucky bass action.

14. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I just sold two of mine to a coworker and his son bought one from walmart and took it back after one outing with it and then he went and bought one like I sold his dad. You can borrow a kayak from me and see if you like it, they're just under $200 at Dunhams in Somerset.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017 at 6:33 PM
  15. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    In my family, we have 4 different kayaks (and an aluminum canoe). I use (and like) my Old Towne Angler 10'. I purchased it so I could easily grab it, throw it in the back of the truck and head to the creek. It meets all my needs. It's a sit in. It's got a more open cockpit than others and I like that it makes it easier to get in and out of. It also has a sealed hatch in the back with plenty of room and two rod holders. They run about $450-$500.

My wife has a 12' Perception sit on top (SOT). It came with rod holders and has a few compartments for storage. She likes it a lot. They also run about $450-$500. We've taken it kayamping before and had plenty of room for all our supplies.

My oldest daughter has a Sun Dolphin 10'. I cut out the molded in back storage area to make the storage area bigger. If she shows any interest in fishing out of it, I've got it planned out to add some rod holders. Just haven't had to do that yet. But she's 13, kinda small, but can handle that pretty good. They run about $200.

My youngest daughter has a Pelican 8' It's a lot like the Sun Dolphin, but only 8' long. I've never sat it it, But she's able to handle it pretty good. I think it was only like $120.

There's also a FB group called Louisville Area Canoe and Kayak that is always posting kayaks for sale. Might want to check them out.