Strange out of place animals

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Duster, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Since all the chatter on Cougars thought I would throw this out there. Wonder how long before we get a sustainable population of these critters/

What is the most out of place critter you have ever ran across. Mine would have to be a Wolf in the LP of Michigan near the town of Gladwin. We did a few week long deer hunts up there. One day a buddy and myself were taking a stand to set up about a mile from camp. As we were walking down a old logging road I spotted a large dog like critter trotting parallel with us about 40 yards off that old road. First thought was a yote but was just to large, at least 7 ft nose to tail and over 2 ft tall at the shoulder. It stayed with us for about 150 yards then made a turn and crossed the road in front of us at about 40 yards. I ask the guy who ran the small store by the campground, and a couple members of the volunteer fire department across the road from the campground if there was any wolves sighted in that area and he said sure have been. He told me if we listen close after dark we might hear it howl. And he was telling the truth, several thousand acres of state owned land behind that campground. A sound that would make the hair stand up on the back of your neck. It went on for about a half hour then went silent. Never heard it again after that night. Kinda made one uneasy doing that mile walk to and from that stand in the dark. Best they could figure was some came down from the UP at one time and took up residents in that area..

2. Meatstick

Meatstick 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Armadillo really messed my head up the first time I saw one around here

barney likes this.
  3. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Me and a Buddy after a weekend at Fort Knox. Hit a few bars on the way back home. We got pretty lit. Shouldn't been driving. Down around Etown there was an Elephant tied to a telephone pole beside the road. I didn't say nothing and he either. When we got back to Frankfort he said did you see that Elephant? I said yes. But was afraid to say something because I was drunk and you would think I was seeing things. His reply was I thought the same. That is why I asked now. Come to find out Circus was in town there. Tied Elephant there for advertisement.

4. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Couple come to mind. Used to be a Fallow deer running around my cousins farm where I used to hunt growing up. Someone’s escaped pet. Weird to see.

Was home for Thanksgiving in during college one year. High school buddy invited me to come hunt his farm. Driving home after the morning hunt, I look and there’s a flipping Ostrich out in a cut corn field. In North East Indiana. While I had been away at college for a couple years, someone started an Ostrich farm and guess one got out.

5. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    I was about 17 yrs old and me and a buddy hunted this farm. he picked his spot and i picked mine and we scattered a bunch of corn out at each place. well the first evening i hunted that spot when i walked to my stand i got this smell coming from my corn pile and it smelled like a half rotted bigfoot. Im talking good lord you could smell it even after i climbed in the stand. well after a few hrs i caught movement to my right. As i looked through the brush i could see something being very cautious. Finally it got to a clear spot about 6 feet from the corn. I thought to my self what the hell is that thing?!!! STINK good god!! It was a damn billy goat with so much hair on it you couldnt even see the damn things legs. It was jumpin around like the most skittish deer you ever saw. it was checkin the wind and all. well before i could shoot it it ran off. well we didnt have cellphones then so after dark i was tellin my buddy and he thought i was high i guess. so the next hunt i was in the stand for about an hour when i heard the damndest screamin you ever heard comin from my buddies stand. i heard it like 3 times. it sounded like he was hollerin for help. I thought oh my god hes fell out. i climb down the tree left my bow up there and sprint the 400 yards across the holler to him saying im coming buddy hold on!!! I get there and hes standing up in the stand looking down at me like what in the hell is your problem lmao. I said jesus christ man i heard you screamin i thought you fell out. He said heck no im good that was that goat screamin i shot that SOB lol. true story. come to find out the guy that had owned that farm ten yrs prior had some goats he could not catch. i guess they bred and had more goats that were as wild as any deer in the woods. We killed a bunch of those things over the next couple yrs.

supergoat80 and bondhu like this.
  6. An escaped emu ran across the road in east Calloway in front of my truck and my buddy who was about half asleep snapped upright, eyes wide open and as serious as he could be asked me if I saw the size of that turkey lmao. It took me a minute or three to convince him that was an emu.

bondhu and barney like this.
  7. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY

Did they eat good?

ojibwa62 likes this.
  8. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    have no clue lol

9. Panther45

Panther45 6 pointer

Sep 25, 2013
    Had a neighbor a few hollers over from us have a couple of full grown ostriches escape one summer. We didnt know anything about it at the time. My uncle made is weekly trip to the back of the property to mow around his pond. 15 minutes into mowing I hear what sounds like a woman screaming bloody mercy. I take out the door running to see what happened as I thought he had maybe turned the mower over in the pond. I make it a few yards down the path to get to the pond and he pops around the corner, still on his mower since the mower was faster than he could run, I wasn't sure what to think when I seen the ostrich running beside him pecking at the back of his head!! One of the funniest and strangest things I have ever seen. The ostrich finally took a turn up the side of the hill once the yard dogs took notice of it. Uncle didn't talk to me for a week after that since I was laughing so hard about it.

Watched 2 state police officers try to rope a ram on route 23 once. Went on for about 10 minutes before the owner finally pulled up, took out his rifle, and shot it while in the median. Officers were too tired and was just glad it was over so they didn't cite him for firing the gun from the road. Shook his hand and left. Still doesn't compare to the ostrich though.

10. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Not that’s is super weird but my parents had a pig, like a cross between a pot bellied and regular pig, show up at their house about 3 years ago.... and they still have it! They went around asking everyone and no claimers then the grandkids took a liking to him and dad hasn’t had the heart to make bacon yet so they have a pet giant pot bellied pig I guess. They walked out the back door and heard something and he was just chillin under the porch/deck like he owned the place. Funny thing is they got dogs that go off on everything and they just acted like it was no big deal.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    bondhu likes this.
  11. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    I was driving just outside of Park City, Utah when I saw a moose. I did not know that there were moose in those mountains.

12. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Saw a hen bluebill at a platform 110 miles due south of Fourchon one morning

bondhu likes this.
  13. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    bondhu likes this.
  14. Munson

Munson 8 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    There was an emu showed up at my uncle's farm several years ago. First time I seen it at prolly 400yds I thought omg look what a gobbler! Lol. Got the binos and couldn't believe my eyes haha. No one believed me till they seen it. It was as wild as a Turkey and to my knowledge it was never claimed.

drakeshooter and bondhu like this.
  15. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.

drakeshooter and bondhu like this.